Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood Stove Install in a Travel Trailer

Re: Wood Stove Install in a Travel Trailer

I have had one in my hunting trailer for years. Sure makes it comfy and lets you dry your wet stuff. I built my own and put double heat shields around it and the chimney. A chimney cap for traveling and emptying the stove is a definete must do. I would use common sense and always have an extinguisher handy.

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

I built one out of 30lbs propane tank, using just a drill and a zip disc, and a bit of hardware (small nuts & bolts)

I used 4” galvanized duct work for the inner chimney, and single wall 6” on the outside of the 4”.
    Old metal roofing panel for a heat shield, plus some bricks and cement board for extra heat protection.

Once it was assembled outside of the camper, I lit it up and got it really hot to burn off the galvanized metal, better be up wind of the stuff. Used a knotted wire wheel to clean off the paint from the tank.
    I have pictures on my dead laptop so kind of hard to share at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ytlogger View Post
    I put a Cubic mini in my camper. You can take your furnace out and use the space for something useful(like storing wood) after you install one of those. Yeah, you want the fire out and the chimney capped when driving. Just search for Cubic mini.
    Lol definitely good advice, I definitely plan on ensuring that the fire is out b4 driving..I have a Tigris1 stove I intend to use, but I heard the cubic minis are good stoves..

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmm one of my medivac helicopter trips involved a gent who wasnt making sense over a sat radio with his wife..she called BC AMBULANCE ..dispatch sent me into the Cariboo mts no problems finding his 30 foot travel trailer...I did hear him thumping around inside..got him outside ..he was talking craZY...had to take him to town...with diminished capacity he could have done something insane..like voting LIBERAL... no propane just wood stove...sealed up tight...my treatment seemed to start reversal of his symptoms...I did talk with his emotional wife who kind of pointed to the wood stove..smoke? fumes? carbon monoxide ?
    never got to talk with a locum DR. he was gone by my next shift...always wonder when i go past the area.
    one fatal was a trailer caught on fire..no escape
    have in fact seen wood stove in a couple units one even looked safe..

be safe WE NEED YOU HERE..
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Thanks Mr Rupp appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    I'm looking at doing the same thing. My plan is to be able to remove the stove easily for cleaning and travel.
    That's exactly my plan as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    A CO detector and a second fire escape is a must.
    I definitely agree, i actually have 2 CO detectors for the trailer..

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post
    I have had one in my hunting trailer for years. Sure makes it comfy and lets you dry your wet stuff. I built my own and put double heat shields around it and the chimney. A chimney cap for traveling and emptying the stove is a definete must do. I would use common sense and always have an extinguisher handy.
    I agree on the extinguisher, and good to hear it's worked well for you...do you feel there are no issues with running propane appliances while the woodstove is running?

Quote Originally Posted by B.C.Boy(100%) View Post
    I built one out of 30lbs propane tank, using just a drill and a zip disc, and a bit of hardware (small nuts & bolts)

I used 4” galvanized duct work for the inner chimney, and single wall 6” on the outside of the 4”.
    Old metal roofing panel for a heat shield, plus some bricks and cement board for extra heat protection.

Once it was assembled outside of the camper, I lit it up and got it really hot to burn off the galvanized metal, better be up wind of the stuff. Used a knotted wire wheel to clean off the paint from the tank.
    I have pictures on my dead laptop so kind of hard to share at the moment.
    Great job on the self built unit, very good ideas...my boy and I built one last year out of an old water meter box...

I got ride of my small wood stove and installed a cheap Chinese diesel heater in my cargo trailer. So much better than the wood stove or propane unit. Maybe consider one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubertuber View Post
    I got ride of my small wood stove and installed a cheap Chinese diesel heater in my cargo trailer. So much better than the wood stove or propane unit. Maybe consider one.
    I much prefer wood, but thanks for the reply I heard those diesel units are good..