Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood Stove Install in a Travel Trailer

Wood Stove Install in a Travel Trailer

Does anyone have any experience with having a wood stove in a travel trailer, camper, RV or similar? I'm looking at installing one in mine, after removing the propane powered furnace. My concern is the danger of a fire or explosion because of the cooking stove and fridge in the unit still being on propane. I plan on ensuring that there are no propane leaks by checking with a solution of soap/water, and even shutting off the propane when I intend on lighting a fire, if deemed necessary..

Please share your thoughts and experiences, if any, thanks..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wood Stove Install in a Travel Trailer

Kid I know put a wood stove in a trailer, going down the highway,flames we’re high and bright, he pulled into a grocery store parking lot to get fire extinguishers, parked by the front main door, almost burnt the building and all, it was awesome, he knows what not to do.

Did he elaborate on what exactly caused the fire?

The fire was likely not completely out and the draft caused by the trailer moving down the road caused the fire to kick up again and cause a chimney fire.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

I’m a WETT certified wood stove installer and inspector. I have plenty of experience with wood stoves. I can’t say I’ve installed a stove in a camper.
    A couple of things come to mind to comment on your question. First, I don’t think you need to worry about your wood stove causing an explosion for leaking gas any more that lighting a match would. In fact the flame is contained inside an airtight box. Having said that, do make so of no LP leaks on your appliances. The other thing that I would suggest is to hook up the combustion air to the stove so the stove gets it air from outside rather than the interior of the camper. This will help prevent back drafting of the flue gases. It also makes the stove operate more efficiently. Lastly, keep in mind that you’re likely not going to meet the manufacture’s minimum clearance to combustibles so you are taken an inherent risk when not installing the wood stove to the manufacturers instructions.
    good luck!
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Thanks for your time and comments Greenthumbed, good suggestions for sure.. I plan on installing heat shields anywhere close to the stove..

I put a Cubic mini in my camper. You can take your furnace out and use the space for something useful(like storing wood) after you install one of those. Yeah, you want the fire out and the chimney capped when driving. Just search for Cubic mini.
    "Often the context of the question is lost in the answers."

hmmm one of my medivac helicopter trips involved a gent who wasnt making sense over a sat radio with his wife..she called BC AMBULANCE ..dispatch sent me into the Cariboo mts no problems finding his 30 foot travel trailer...I did hear him thumping around inside..got him outside ..he was talking craZY...had to take him to town...with diminished capacity he could have done something insane..like voting LIBERAL... no propane just wood stove...sealed up tight...my treatment seemed to start reversal of his symptoms...I did talk with his emotional wife who kind of pointed to the wood stove..smoke? fumes? carbon monoxide ?
    never got to talk with a locum DR. he was gone by my next shift...always wonder when i go past the area.
    one fatal was a trailer caught on fire..no escape
    have in fact seen wood stove in a couple units one even looked safe..

be safe WE NEED YOU HERE..
    Cheers
    Srupp

I'm looking at doing the same thing. My plan is to be able to remove the stove easily for cleaning and travel.

A CO detector and a second fire escape is a must.