Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wood Stove Install in a Travel Trailer

Re: Wood Stove Install in a Travel Trailer

You can totally put one in as long as you place combustible spacers in and know clearances as per NFPA, obviously insurance won't cover you but it can work.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post

Part of my plan is to install this stove in the 16' cargo trailer chimney would just go out upper side panel I would remove the chimney and stove when I'm driving so will need some kind of a cover to close off the hole in the side.

Has anyone done this kind of a setup before = I'd appreciate any thoughts because I have no idea how to doo it safely yet.
    Yes I like the stove pipe out the side. Easy to take off makes it nicer for road travel.
    Hard to see in the pics I made my own wall jack out of 6" peace 7" insulated chimney and part of a ceiling jack and ring, run my 5" stove pipe through.

A 7" to 6" stove pip reducer, firestop cocking to fill between the 6" and the 5" stove pipe.
    Another ceiling ring on the out side screwed and more fire stop, a 6" plug 2 eye hooks and haywire for traveling.

I keep the cap and elbow in stove, the chimney in a box under the trailer.
    Ya can just see the little hook on the pipe the holds up the chimney on the MICKEY MOUSE hanger near the top of the trailer.

hope it helps?
    Last edited by MRP; 06-08-2022 at 04:01 PM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Great info everyone

I like the side mount better than thru the roof

I also have a far larger wood stove that would work very well for colder weather.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

I built a Wells Cargo out as a camp for a friend. We put in the smallest residential wood stove we could find. It’s a 16x8 trailer, and with even a small fire going, you’re down to shorts and a tee shirt pretty quickly if it’s all closed up. We installed 2 roof vents, and the trailer has a good sized opening window on the door. The interior is rudimentary, but sleeps 4, and has space for a quad under the “kitchen” drawers, and a SxS at the back, plus wall tent etc in totes up front. We didn’t go crazy on insulation, but used the double layer foil bubble type behind the T&G pine. There is a substantial heat shield installed after the test burn in photos, and C to C specs were followed. Owner is in the lumber business, so part of the pine interior was to show off some of his wares…

Bonus points for naming the movie!

If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Years ago they made “zero clearance’ small woodstoves for mobile homes..I saw one guy who took out the bathroom in his camper and installed a small zero clearance woodstove..he put the chimney through the window and removed it for traveling

Some awesome units posted there MRP & Red!

Finished my project, other than I'm building skirting for next winter right now...removed the propane furnace, ensured I have zero propane leaks (I also have a propane leak detector in the trailer), installed heat shielding with 1" spacers from the wall. For ease of travel, & ease of installation, ran the stovepipe through the window...window insert made of hard foam insulation which is slightly flammable, so I covered the insulation in fireproof material....spark arrestor installed on end of stovepipe..used an old hot water tank pan for under the stove, & used tile between the legs of the stove and the pan to impede heat travel to the floor..have had a couple prolonged fires in it, works well...other than the purchase of the stove itself, did the whole project on the cheap...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I agree on the extinguisher, and good to hear it's worked well for you...do you feel there are no issues with running propane appliances while the woodstove is running?
    My buddies cabin always had a bit of a propane smell in the cabin, wood stove always burning. He figured out later on, that both propane stoves were hooked up and he never lit the other stoves pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyduck View Post
    My buddies cabin always had a bit of a propane smell in the cabin, wood stove always burning. He figured out later on, that both propane stoves were hooked up and he never lit the other stoves pilots.
    Interesting, I'd be nervous having a fire going with the smell of propane around..

It doesn't take a big stove to heat a trailer . The link below shows a BC man who came up with his own design for a boat .

https://duckworksmagazine.com/12/howto/woodstove/