Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood Stove Install in a Travel Trailer

Re: Wood Stove Install in a Travel Trailer

My father lived in a 30' trailer for about 10 years with a wood heater, never had wet windows, and was always cozy inside.
    He rigged an outside stove that had a double wall which he drew hot air in from, and piped it into the trailer with a solar-powered fan. He had an extension on the rear bumper that carried the stove when he traveled. (not lit)LOL

I always figured you'd cook yourself out with a woodstove inside a camper, and after an hour or so it would burn down or out, and then you could get chilly?? I'd go with propane or diesel heat myself and save a lot of grief.

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    My father lived in a 30' trailer for about 10 years with a wood heater, never had wet windows, and was always cozy inside.
    He rigged an outside stove that had a double wall which he drew hot air in from, and piped it into the trailer with a solar-powered fan. He had an extension on the rear bumper that carried the stove when he traveled. (not lit)LOL
    Super cool...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I always figured you'd cook yourself out with a woodstove inside a camper, and after an hour or so it would burn down or out, and then you could get chilly?? I'd go with propane or diesel heat myself and save a lot of grief.
    For me, I love wood heat, and the drier, more natural heat that it provides..also don't have to worry about running out of fuel when in da bush..

I've considered a wood stove several times for my trailer. Personally, I'm leaning towards a seperate pop up type tent butted against my trailer door to keep wood and ash outside. I'd keep my propane furnace for sleeping and have an exterior drying room with the option of turning on a vent fan to suck warm dry air into the trailer.

I can savvy your thought process, Harry, but for me my trailer is a bit too nice to be pulling the furnace and plumbing a stove pipe. Lol.

I bought this 7' x 16' ramp tailgate cargo trailer yesterday it has a sliding window on the other side and a camper style door so you can open the door from the inside.

Bought the trailer for multiple uses = storage of some of our stuff while we continue doing reno's on our house - I plan to use it for storage of my landscaping and snow removal equipment including tractor - I'll use it when our house sales to move some of our stuff - most importantly I need it for hunting/camping trips especially when I take my three 150lbs dogs.

Right now I drive a pickup with an 8' camper and a 6' x 10' V-nose ramp tailgate cargo trailer with our camping gear and two dirt bikes in it I needed more room for when we score a side x side or a quad.

A couple years ago my dad had a guy make him this 12" x 12" x 12" wood stove he was going to put it into his 5th wheel RV trailer but due to covid lies/shutdowns he never got around to it and now Dementia has hit him so he does not drive.

Part of my plan is to install this stove in the 16' cargo trailer chimney would just go out upper side panel I would remove the chimney and stove when I'm driving so will need some kind of a cover to close off the hole in the side.

Has anyone done this kind of a setup before = I'd appreciate any thoughts because I have no idea how to doo it safely yet.

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Check how it will effect your insurance. Buddy who was doing the nomad worker/van life deal said it negates insurance on an RV when you install one.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    I bought this 7' x 16' ramp tailgate cargo trailer yesterday it has a sliding window on the other side and a camper style door so you can open the door from the inside.

Bought the trailer for multiple uses = storage of some of our stuff while we continue doing reno's on our house - I plan to use it for storage of my landscaping and snow removal equipment including tractor - I'll use it when our house sales to move some of our stuff - most importantly I need it for hunting/camping trips especially when I take my three 150lbs dogs.

Right now I drive a pickup with an 8' camper and a 6' x 10' V-nose ramp tailgate cargo trailer with our camping gear and two dirt bikes in it I needed more room for when we score a side x side or a quad.

A couple years ago my dad had a guy make him this 12" x 12" x 12" wood stove he was going to put it into his 5th wheel RV trailer but due to covid lies/shutdowns he never got around to it and now Dementia has hit him so he does not drive.

Part of my plan is to install this stove in the 16' cargo trailer chimney would just go out upper side panel I would remove the chimney and stove when I'm driving so will need some kind of a cover to close off the hole in the side.

Has anyone done this kind of a setup before = I'd appreciate any thoughts because I have no idea how to doo it safely yet.

Looks like a great setup you have, love the pic of the dogs....for the cover, have you considered some kind of apparatus where a cover slides in rails, where you can lock in the cover with a set-screw or something along those lines? For me, I will also be removing the stove when I am driving, when it is in use, I will be protruding the stove pipe through a stove-jack insert I will be building for the window (cuttable stove jacks are cheap on Amazon)...I will also be covering any wood or burnable material that is within a foot of the stove and stove pipe with metal sheeting, that will be installed with 1" spacers keeping the metal heat-reflecting shields off those burnable surfaces...beneath the stove there will be an old hot-water tank pan, and beneath the stove pipe will also be metal sheeting...the stove pipe will be clamped & supported outside, with a spark-arrestor mesh installed at the end of the pipe...

And please, those in the know chime in, what safety features am I forgetting?

For a cargo trailer conversion consider sending the chimney up through a stove jack in the middle of the roof. The stove is placed in the centre at the back, giving good clearance around the stove. Drying racks and wood storage on either side of the stove. You can load fresh wood through the ramp door instead of carting it through the trailer.

Slide the chimney up through the stove jack for assembly/disassembly. Find a suitable sized cap for the jack for when the stove is not in use. Put an eye bolt in the centre of the cap and bungy or tie it to the interior when the stove is not in use.

Bunks at the front with a roof vent over top. Emergency egress through man door or roof vent via top bunk.

The stove must be disassembled and removed and emptied prior to travel if you want to load a quad, or have lots of cargo but this also ensures all fires are out and the stove is cool enough to not cause any problems.

My old trailer

My new trailer. Used the same clear top with chimney from my old trailer. I use one of the big tin barrel stoves. Too small is no good, gotta be up all night filling it or relighting it.