Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian band declares Ashnola valley protected

Re: Indian band declares Ashnola valley protected

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    What is stopping someone from ripping the gate right out?
    You tell me.

Seems like a good way to have a bunch of rocks and loc-blocks placed on the road, potentially while you’re back in the valley.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    You tell me.

Seems like a good way to have a bunch of rocks and loc-blocks placed on the road, potentially while you’re back in the valley.
    Well that would put a damper on your day. But bad things can happen whether a gate gets ripped out or not, like a landslide or downed trees.

Does anybody really believe these people had a 'management plan' pre-contact?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Does anybody really believe these people had a 'management plan' pre-contact?
    I completely agree with you. Pure bunk. They all did what they had to in order to eat and survive. If you go back a couple hundred years you can see the archeological evidence and historical information from explorers of the use of fire to drive entire herds of bison off cliffs (the buffalo jumps) in the plains. Massive over kill of caribou at crossings during the migrations, where rotting carcasses littered the shorelines. I know of instances just a few decades ago where I personally witnessed the waste of moose, caribou and salmon in quantities that just made me shake my head.

There are many cases of incredible waste by Indigenous hunters and anglers that has been documented but it has not been politically acceptable to say anything about it. To do so will end an individuals career and have you branded a racist.

Sad times. But don't worry the NDP is on top of things that is why they have announced a new deal regarding Crown forest harvest revenues. Indigenous communities in BC received $58 million in 2021, but the terms of the new revenue sharing formula could see that increase to $130 million this year.

When it comes to the politics that currently exist with respect to Indigenous people no one dares to really get down to the brass tacks and speak the truth. Not an evening goes by when the news does not include some item to do with "truth and reconciliation"and the momentum is such that anyone who actually speaks the truth risks crucifixion.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

This isn't all that bad. We (whities) took all their land and now they want some of it back. That's still a pretty good math for us. Concesion, fellas, is the word of the day. We need to be ok with losing a bit. I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but a necessary one in 2022. Besides, coming from europe, this province is huge and full of opportunity.

Good hunting.
    Last edited by stosto; 05-04-2022 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stosto View Post
    This isn't all that bad. We (whities) took all their land and now they want some of it back. That's still a pretty good math for us. Concesion, fellas, is the word of the day. We need to be ok with losing a bit. I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but a necessary one in 2022. Besides, coming from europe, this province is huge and full of opportunity.

Good hunting.
    Speak for yourself. I, for one, didn’t take anything from anyone - I was born here and have no option of going back to some other far flung place. I have nothing to reconcile, nor do many people alive today, save for those that took part in the residential school systems.
    People existed here before others, I don’t dispute that, and perhaps I could be on board for them getting a stipend, based on the logic that they had enough resources available to them to make a living from the land, that they may not have access to now, but nothing beyond that. Though, that idea falls flat on its face when you consider that despite them having access to enough resources to live, they also had the risk of those resources going away (famine would not have been unheard of pre-contact).
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

fozzy is offline hunting 4 a decent Mulie

Quote Originally Posted by evcity View Post
    The statement doesn't mention hunting or fishing at all. If access is maintained, is this even a bad thing?
    If you check on their web site under FAQ's they state they will have a kiosk set up and be charging all entrants fee's and all hunting is under a moratorium for the area they see fit. 2022-04-25 FAQ re Ashnola IPCA_public - Google Docs (lsib.net)
    "With the IPCA declaration, we are confirming the current moratorium onnon-sməlqmíx hunting in the area."

fozzy is offline hunting 4 a decent Mulie

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Anybody got any solutions?

All I can think of right now is showing up in numbers and removing infrastructure which I would be willing to take part in.

I would have to sit and think about it more for other on the ground solutions, i'm not talking about goofy **** like contacting mla's.

Something that would deal with it or see actual results from, anybody got anything?
    That big red bridge is made of wood....

Set up a kiosk before the bridge and charge them a huge fee to get to the highway, Walmart and all the infrastructure on OUR land.

Quote Originally Posted by stosto View Post

Good hunting.
    Your comments while well intentioned are far from the factual truth. They are that of the Left wing. The reality is that when Europeans showed up in North America they were confronted with a bronze age society. First Nations lived on the land but could not defend what they claimed to be theirs. If they could have, they would never have signed treaties or capitulated to the foreign invaders. They could defend small areas from each other, but had none of the modern weaponry the Europeans had. Thankfully for them, the invaders were generous with them and allowed them to remain with conditions. Just take a look at how the Spanish or the Americans dealt with indigenous residents. In some areas they were enslaved or worked to death, or just out right slaughtered. This whole truth and reconciliation thing is far from what it should be. There is no truth , little reconciliation. If you look back on history it is very clear that many people and cultures have been displaced by invading forces, with little or no compensation. But like what has been said earlier, none of us is allowed to discuss the truth. We are just supposed to listen to their narrative and not question it. This country is and has been on a steady decline lately, mostly because of complacency and political cowardice.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Your comments while well intentioned are far from the factual truth. They are that of the Left wing. The reality is that when Europeans showed up in North America they were confronted with a bronze age society. First Nations lived on the land but could not defend what they claimed to be theirs. If they could have, they would never have signed treaties or capitulated to the foreign invaders. They could defend small areas from each other, but had none of the modern weaponry the Europeans had. Thankfully for them, the invaders were generous with them and allowed them to remain with conditions. Just take a look at how the Spanish or the Americans dealt with indigenous residents. In some areas they were enslaved or worked to death, or just out right slaughtered. This whole truth and reconciliation thing is far from what it should be. There is no truth , little reconciliation. If you look back on history it is very clear that many people and cultures have been displaced by invading forces, with little or no compensation. But like what has been said earlier, none of us is allowed to discuss the truth. We are just supposed to listen to their narrative and not question it. This country is and has been on a steady decline lately, mostly because of complacency and political cowardice.
    Very well said. Thank you.