Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WT antlerless season question

WT antlerless season question

So with the whitetail antlerless season 1 week away, I have a question regarding harvesting one from a doe/yearling(s) group: if a hunter did harvest the doe, what's the chances of the yearling(s) surviving? I typically dont shoot any of the deer in the group (not passing judgment towards those that do take them).. the yearlings I know would make some incredible table fare, but I find them usually too small to warrant a harvest.. I've heard that the yearlings by this stage are usually old enough to survive on their own by now.. what's everyone's thoughts/experience/knowledge on this topic?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: WT antlerless season question

I think I heard them on the Meat eater podcast years ago talking about how the other Does look after the little ones if the mom is gone.

The young are weaned off by the time fall rolls around, onto hard food, they don't need to nurse
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I took a yearling from a doe/yearling pair. The meat was fantastic, but I won’t do it again, unless I really needed the meat.

Too much effort to process that small of a deer out and it tugged on my heart strings a bit too much.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Are you certain you can take a doe with fawns? I haven't looked at the regs yet this year but I thought does with fawns were verboten? I passed on a couple last year. Had the scope lined right up at 40 yards and passed because of the yearling that was trailing her. I wasn't worried about the young one surviving as it was plenty big enough. I just thought it was against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Are you certain you can take a doe with fawns? I haven't looked at the regs yet this year but I thought does with fawns were verboten? I passed on a couple last year. Had the scope lined right up at 40 yards and passed because of the yearling that was trailing her. I wasn't worried about the young one surviving as it was plenty big enough. I just thought it was against the rules.
    I honestly don't think it is against the regs, I couldn't find it anywhere..

ANTLERED ANIMAL - means a member of the deer family over one year of age bearing visible bony antlers.
    ANTLERLESS ANIMAL - means a member of the deer family bearing no visible antlers. The small skin or hair covered protuberances of male fawns and calves do not constitute antlers.

Well I'll be damned. I passed on a couple of nice does over the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post

it tugged on my heart strings a bit too much.
    You have to go with your gut. I passed on a few doe with fawns and many small mulie bucks over the years because of this. Not judging anyone else, just didn't feel right for me.

We saw a couple of emaciated fawns with rough coats last weekend, no doe was around..I doubt they will make it though the winter..if I wanted meat, I think I would take a big fawn and leave the doe
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-03-2023 at 06:24 PM.