Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakes frozen?

Lakes frozen?

Do the lakes seem to be late reaching ice out this year?

We made plans to fish a remote lake in a couple of weeks, I sure hope it warms up or we could end up just hunting bears.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lakes frozen?

heheh...I remember one year heading out a little early to some small lakes with the little tin boat to do some trolling..it turned into still fishing as the ice was still too thick (all honey comb but still intact). So we launched and went across the 10 feet of open water then drove up onto the ice, got out and pushed it to a spot off a point across the bay...We punched a few holes with the paddle handle and sat in the boat fishing through the holes in the ice all day....heheh

here in the Cariboo..its going to be late..still hard water then 2 weeks for turn over...
    srupp

There is some sort of satellite imagery that is taken on almost a daily basis.
    Exampke the one fellow doing YouTube with last seasons forest fires with daily imagery.
    I can’t recall off hand what imagery they are using but I hear people are now using it to check on their favourite lakes to see if ice is off.

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentin...howDates=false

I was looking on sentinal playground, it's not up to date as it shows some lakes I know are open as still frozen.

I'm in the Logan Lake area.

The ice was off most lakes from the 3700 foot and lower 2 weeks early this year due to a warm March. Unfortunately April was colder than normal and ice off slowed.
    With warm weather and wind predicted for this next week, I would say most lakes from 4000 feet and lower should be ice free by the weekend.

Sometimes calling a sporting good shop in the area is worth it.
    Or even someone at Pacific Anglers, like Sterling, should have some insight to some of the main areas

The ice on the 4500' plus lakes right now is so thick it might not be off for may long unfortunately

HMMM Dugan lk # 7 ? lol...ya late ..
    cheers
    Steven