Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When are BC LEH and Regulations published?

Re: When are BC LEH and Regulations published?

I’d say one of the things we have going for us is the multiple First Nation owned territories that are in 7B.
    A reduction in moose quota affects them as well, so there will be push back from at least some bands. Was talking to an outfitter and he said they were looking at something ridiculous as far as quota for them this year until they got it figured. Was suggested 2 tags for the outfitters for this year. What I don’t understand is why they just don’t get rid of the any bull season to start if they want to reduce harvest? And does a harvest reduction of mature, ten point, triple eye guard moose even impact the reproduction rates of a moose population? I mean it’s not like they are out there having babies, or gathering food and protecting their offspring….

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    I’d say one of the things we have going for us is the multiple First Nation owned territories that are in 7B.
    A reduction in moose quota affects them as well, so there will be push back from at least some bands. Was talking to an outfitter and he said they were looking at something ridiculous as far as quota for them this year until they got it figured. Was suggested 2 tags for the outfitters for this year. What I don’t understand is why they just don’t get rid of the any bull season to start if they want to reduce harvest? And does a harvest reduction of mature, ten point, triple eye guard moose even impact the reproduction rates of a moose population? I mean it’s not like they are out there having babies, or gathering food and protecting their offspring….
    What makes you think the bands follow a quota? The issue isn't reducing the harvest when only 1200 moose are taken in all of 7B per season.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    What makes you think the bands follow a quota? The issue isn't reducing the harvest when only 1200 moose are taken in all of 7B per season.
    He's referring to outfitter quotas for the outfits they own. Doubt many foreign clients are going to be happy doing things illegally after paying big bucks so I'm gonna say they'll be following the quotas. Harvest reports etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Not about reducing harvest, it’s about reducing how many hunters are up there

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    My understanding is that it isn't that simple (remembering that this is all still at "proposal" stage, despite my belief that it will come to pass). For moose, resident hunters would go on LEH with a target harvest number that is reduced 50% from the current target. First Nations don't need tags on their traditional territory and (if I'm reading recent amendments to Wildlife Act correctly) they should be able to host/shelter Indigenous people from outside their territory of they choose, and outfitters would get their quota, like before, but reduced by (I'm pretty sure) 50%, just like resident hunters.

So, both resident hunters and guide-outfitters get their allowable harvest reduced 50%. GOs are never on LEH (as far as I know) even when RHs are, so that's not a huge change (it's the 50% reduction that's a huge change). I happen to know w guide who doesn't really care - they hunt sheep almost exclusively so a cut on moose harvest doesn't bug them much. I can imagine there is another GO who depends much more on moose than the guy I know, and I can imagine a scenario where he gets his cut and it essentially puts him out of business (speculation on my part - I don't have the receipts on that aspect).
    Supply and demand dictates, less outfitter moose tags equals higher prices for moose hunts with less residents around, at least once the new regulations are balanced between 6 and 7B...So less work same money..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Not sure if I agree it'll work like that. There are alternative provinces/territories/states for foreign hunters to choose instead. So it's not like the outfitters can just jack their prices way up to make up for lost tags. They'll just price themselves out of the market.

I'm not sure either, more of a feeling on how it will play out, I guess we'll see...hunting northern bc is pretty spectacular,we have stone sheep and their money goes further than in alaska..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

LEH rabbit and grouse for me this year,,,good luck to everyone this year on their draws
    Aim small,,miss small

Tough times for the BC govt apparently. Poor *******s can't even afford spell-check.