Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When are BC LEH and Regulations published?

When are BC LEH and Regulations published?

Good morning all,

Relatively new to BC....curious as to when the updated 2022-2024 Regs and LEH Synopsis are typically published? For example, is every 2 year update published on a reliable date like May 1 or June 1, or is it anybody's guess?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: When are BC LEH and Regulations published?

New regulations should come out at the end of the spring bear hunt I believe.

LEH feels like it’s relatively late this year but probably because they are buying votes by giving all the moose tags away to a special group of very vocal folks.

April 21 last year IIRC for LEH..

I get all my LEH info from this site

https://www.all-about-moose.com/limi...y-hunting.html

As far as I know, and correct me anyone if I'm wrong, the BC government has not made the official announcement about the new rules for 7B.

If I'm right abut that (pretty sure I am) the province can't release 2022-23 LEH rules because there's a bunch of brand new LEH hunts *proposed* but not yet officially decided.

The province has been soliciting, or at least entertaining, input from disgruntled voters who oppose the proposal.

If the province announces that the proposal is officially the way that we're going and the new LEH rules hit the web 5 minutes later it's going to look like the province wasn't really taking the input seriously at all. Not a good look.

I'd bet we're mid-May at the earliest before we see the new LEH regs. That's just my personal opinion, and I could be completely wrong. It's happened before, but maybe we should start a pool. I'll say we'll see them May 16.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

My thoughts exactly Rob....

This is the very informative statement they make on the govt site.."The 2022/23 LEH synopsis will be available on or before the opening date for 2022 Fall LEH applications"

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    New regulations should come out at the end of the spring bear hunt I believe.

LEH feels like it’s relatively late this year but probably because they are buying votes by giving all the moose tags away to a special group of very vocal folks.
    Resident hunters all go on LEH, FNs don't need a tag, so the only one being given tags is the outfitters??

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Resident hunters all go on LEH, FNs don't need a tag, so the only one being given tags is the outfitters??

My understanding is that it isn't that simple (remembering that this is all still at "proposal" stage, despite my belief that it will come to pass). For moose, resident hunters would go on LEH with a target harvest number that is reduced 50% from the current target. First Nations don't need tags on their traditional territory and (if I'm reading recent amendments to Wildlife Act correctly) they should be able to host/shelter Indigenous people from outside their territory of they choose, and outfitters would get their quota, like before, but reduced by (I'm pretty sure) 50%, just like resident hunters.

So, both resident hunters and guide-outfitters get their allowable harvest reduced 50%. GOs are never on LEH (as far as I know) even when RHs are, so that's not a huge change (it's the 50% reduction that's a huge change). I happen to know w guide who doesn't really care - they hunt sheep almost exclusively so a cut on moose harvest doesn't bug them much. I can imagine there is another GO who depends much more on moose than the guy I know, and I can imagine a scenario where he gets his cut and it essentially puts him out of business (speculation on my part - I don't have the receipts on that aspect).
    Rob Chipman

Losing grizzly bear and now half of the moose allocation has to hurt their bottom line. Not to mention all the businesses that benefited by all the hunters going up there to hunt. Probably will amount to $millions in lost revenue. Pretty bad kick in the teeth if you ask me.

^^^^

Can't disagree. Both the G-bear hunt and this current proposal seem poorly thought out.
    Rob Chipman