Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Vehicle requirements for travelling on FSR's

Re: Vehicle requirements for travelling on FSR's

Hate to be the one to say this but if you have to ask this question on a forum you probably shouldn't be on back roads.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    Hate to be the one to say this but if you have to ask this question on a forum you probably shouldn't be on back roads.
    I am trying to find these answers BEFORE I go on the backroads. And which question in particular are you talking about? I asked tonnes.

Quote Originally Posted by machog View Post
    Where do you find the frequency for each FSR?

What info are you listening for on the radio?
    You will find the frequency of each FSR that you are driving on a sign at the beginning of the road. It will usually tell you the frequency and also the RR #. It will also tell you the road name and sometimes what to call when using the radio.
    You will be listening for other users of the same road travelling in the opposite direction. If you are starting “up” the FSR you should be listing for anyone calling “down” the same FSR. For instance, if you are travelling up the road you might call “5 up B-Road”. This means you are at the 5 km travelling up the B-Road. If you hear someone call “6 down B-road”, you should probably pull your Honda Civic off to the side of the road until the oncoming traffic is clear.

Btw, I drive a 98’ Jeep Gr. Cherokee. You want to have a vehicle that will carry you, your gear and whatever your successful hunt may have given you home.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    This is true in a way. And I don't think it's trying to be an unfriendly response. But most people would learn their limits by experience. [ especially vehicle travel ] I would suggest that you spend the weekend seeing where your vehicle can go. Then if you are still in question you could inquire about specific FSR's if you are tring to figure out access to a certain area. To plan a trip with only keyboard knowledge might be a recipe for disaster??

Have a mountain bike strapped to the civic in case you have a breakdown.

Got it folks, just trying to maximize my knowledge before I head out

Will definitely be scouting alot over the next few months

And .... before you head out let someone know of your plans ... once you know we’re your headed always have a plan B... and let someone know of this ... check the weather report before heading out.. last few years have been crazy with fires and flooding .. just because the day looks good to head out .... these days things change fast.

Clearly you need a Tacoma

You day pack should alway be on any mountain excursion period.