Thread: Federal court overturns order to shut down salmon farms

Thumbs down Federal court overturns order to shut down salmon farms

Former federal Fisheries and Oceans Minister Bernadette Jordan breached the rights of B.C. salmon farmers to procedural fairness when she ordered all salmon farms out of the Discovery Islands, a Federal Court judge has ruled.

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-...-farms-5299534

In light of all the information coming forward regarding intentional government cover-ups of the negative impacts of these farms, I consider this a serious setback.

And yet another nail in the coffin for our own salmon stocks...

Sad Day

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Federal court overturns order to shut down salmon farms

Not for me, when a government makes up its own rules to appease NGO's and rabid environmentalists we all lose. Yes I am a salmon farmer, but I am also a conservationist who wants to see salmon thrive. This is not the way to do it. What happens when the government starts doing the same thing to hunting/fishing rights because they want to appease a special interest group? Will you cheer then? I doubt it. I know that you are very passionate about salmon survival and I applaud the attention and effort you give to this file. But salmon farmers are not the enemy here, that is very obvious. The Cohen commission highlighted that fact in spades. Anyway have a great day.
    "stupid branch got in the way...."

Salmon farms, industry, habitat loss, commercial fisheries, poaching, climate change?........ The list of why salmon stocks are dropping is huge. The one thing all of these factors have in common is people and the effects we have had/are having. Demand for product and price keeps rising, there is no way any group that has an interest financially will back off to protect it, even if it means short term loss for long term gain.

However, in BC there have been decisions made by the provincial governments ,which were in power at those times which are borderline criminal. For instance, a whole run of Salmon ranging from Chinook, Sockeye and Chum, plus a strain of Steehead were wiped out by the stroke of a pen. When they put up the hydroelectric dam on the Columbia River just outside of Castlegar the governments of the day did so knowing it would wipe out this run. However, it has been argued these runs of Salmon and Steelhead could have been preserved, and saved if a fish ladder had been erected beside the dam. Think of the damage to the whole ecosystem this has caused by robbing not only a valuable fish resource to be used by future generations of man, but to the wildlife not only on land but the sea too. All by the stroke of a pen.

Conservation issues aside...

This was a win.

The government deliberately chose to ignore the institutional systems and processes used to make such decisions and rammed through a decision (likely based on ideology but that's a different matter). They tout the importance of our "institutions" but ignore them when they won't work in their favour.

Keep in mind that this is a federal government who's leader "admires basic dictatorships".

This government's ego is so huge that they will not learn their lesson.

What I don't understand about governments and salmon farms is why they have to operate in a way that has proven to be detrimental to wild stocks and the coastal environment.

With government spending at record highs for idiotic things why not actually "invest" in the future and have all levels of government act togeather with salmon/fish farming operations to have them all convert to closed containment farming methods? Subsidize the conversion of existing farms and do not allow any other farms without closed containment systems.

Fish farming is not new and closed containment is in operation in other parts of the world and it works, so why not here? And why does the government insist on dealing with spending on the results of their previous bad decisions instead of actively spending on something that will actually solve the issues?

The government spends huge amounts (or say they do) on infrastructure of various types, why not on this environmental issue that actually has a workable solution?

Be well.../B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Arrow Re: Federal court overturns order to shut down salmon farms

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBob View Post
    What I don't understand about governments and salmon farms is why they have to operate in a way that has proven to be detrimental to wild stocks and the coastal environment.
    VERY well said Bob!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    But salmon farmers are not the enemy here, that is very obvious. The Cohen commission highlighted that fact in spades.
    Sure they did. Here's The Man himself...

Last edited by IronNoggin; 04-28-2022 at 02:01 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Again and again, the problems lay within the governments.
    Again, another example why I feel things won’t change federally or provincially until more folks both in hunting and fishing run for office.
    So many groups, so many shut ears.
    I just don’t see any other way any longer to correct it otherwise.