Thread: Vintage Northen BC Footage

Exclamation Vintage Northen BC Footage

And a request to help identify:

Historian has little information on film footage of Northern B.C. that was found in a cabin

The four men on the boat are likely in their late 70s or 80s by now

Today's vintage video is a 'reel' mystery.

B.C. historian and videographer Francois Arseneault said the footage was “found in a cabin purchased by one of our regular viewers.

“This 1977 reel depicts an adventurous trip possibly on the Kechika and Turnagain Rivers in the far north of British Columbia some 1,200 kilometres northwest of the Okanagan.”

And it is that remoteness that attracts certain people to the area which is rarely visited even today.

Just getting to the region from Vancouver is a 21-hour drive on today's roads.

“In 1977, the trip would have been longer and dustier with the Alaska highway still gravel,” said Arseneault.

The footage contains a shot of several men aboard the boat who may be identified.

“Look for a moose crossing the river and a small, abandoned boat on shore that may be the point of their trip,” said Arseneault. “With drums of fuel and plenty of supplies, this would have been a well-planned undertaking on this remote river.”

A small as-of-yet unidentified settlement appears towards the end of the footage that Arseneault would like more information on.

There are few clues to help identify the precise locations, except perhaps by someone intimately familiar with the region.

www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/highlights/historian-has-little-information-on-film-footage-of-northern-bc-that-was-found-in-a-cabin-5296401

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vintage Northen BC Footage

He has one of that has the old Alexander 2 . 1926? to 1964? . In it there is a section of the highway that hangs off a cliff , it's made of wood . There was a fair bit of that still on the west side of the river. In those days the canyon was pretty slow with all the stoppages for blasting and the clearing.

Would have been nice to catch the plane #####.
    Wish I was there but then I’d be dead bye now,,,, what the heck take me to the time machine.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

maybe the Nelson river to nelson forks,up the Liard to retrieve a boat that came through the bad elbow? Looks like springtime lots of water, Big River for sure I dont think they were hunting I think they were recovering in the springtime, the Village may be FT. Liard Horsee
    PIGS IS PIGS;BUT HOG'S IS HOGS!

according to the comments on youtube most people believe it is the town of Fireside at the end of the film. twin 50hp mercs on the boat.

not quite twins, one jet and one prop, these guys had it covered
    Liking the twin fuel hoses filtered right out of the drum
    and the boat, could likley build one like that at todays prices for under $3k plus hardware and power

neat old flic, thanks
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Most likely was Willard Freer on the Liard River.
    Town at the end was Lower Post.