Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Licks/attractants, Elk/Deer what works for you?

Licks/attractants, Elk/Deer what works for you?

First year using trail cams. Going to put down some salts/attractants infront of them.

Will be for Blacktails and Rocky Mountain Elk. The BT I have my spots picked and will be setting them up very soon, the Elk I will be starting to scout next month (first try for Elk).

What works good for you guys, and not so good for salts/attractants?

Will report back with what I end up trying over the course of the summer

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Licks/attractants, Elk/Deer what works for you?

Deer Co. Cain.
    I like the powder over the bricks.

something sweet helps, I was using liquid molasses (500ml) per site, but I bought a bulk of Jello crystals this year to try. Salt, trace minerals will be enough as well.

XPEIER

I use salt blocks. Sometimes anything but salt brings in bears which is fine but they can be hard on cameras

I used to mix up mineral salts with powdered molasses and it would come out a brown/earthy color once mixed up. I like this as it blends better into the natural ground than say the bright colors stuff. In reg 4 we cant do this anymore so I can just pass on tips that helped me.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

Brown trace mineral blocks
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Thanks for the replies guys! I have heard good things about water softening salts, I would like to add something sweet/attracts but don't want bears coming in spooking things either.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Brown trace mineral blocks
    I have heard these work very well, is there a brand that makes them and do you know what stores have them?

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I have heard these work very well, is there a brand that makes them and do you know what stores have them?

Most of the farm Co-Ops will carry any of the salt blocks . Brown - Selenium salt block . Blue - Cobalt salt block . Both are pretty effective and the game really like / need them .

salt blocks have been working very well for 3 years straight now for mule deer.
    Blacktail don't seem to care as much for it. They will lick it as they come across it, but don't go out of their way to revisit the site like mule deer do - not in my BT spots at least.