Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Licks/attractants, Elk/Deer what works for you?

Re: Licks/attractants, Elk/Deer what works for you?

Leaning towards the brown trace mineral block, and maybe some pure salt water softener definitely won't pick up anything thats not good for the game, ontop of that may end up eating one thats been on the lick, if I can't find one with no additives will just go brown trace mineral block.

Will the salts/minerals only attract? Or just if they come across it and discover it?

I am pretty hesistant to use anything sweet/flavour enhancing as I really want to avoid bringing bears onto the site,and to attract ungulates only.

And hey thanks for the replies Gent's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Leaning towards the brown trace mineral block, and maybe some pure salt water softener definitely won't pick up anything thats not good for the game, ontop of that may end up eating one thats been on the lick, if I can't find one with no additives will just go brown trace mineral block.

Will the salts/minerals only attract? Or just if they come across it and discover it?

I am pretty hesistant to use anything sweet/flavour enhancing as I really want to avoid bringing bears onto the site,and to attract ungulates only.

And hey thanks for the replies Gent's!!!
    Stick with brown and you will never go wrong
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by bigstew View Post
    Be careful using water softener salt as it can have other chemicals not meant for animals. I have used trace mineral and pool salt.
    I was sent a bit of a study that was done on softener salt years ago when I first started using it, because I had heard the same concern.

In the study, there was no evidence of the salt being harmful to farm animals (farm, not wild). Iirc, it was a vet that had done the study, and in the end she said, she “preferred” mineral blocks. It didn’t actually say anywhere in it that the softener had a negative effect on animals (farm animals),

It does concern me, last thing we want is to cause problems. Over the last 8-10 years of using it, I haven’t seen any bad effect.

I mostly play with mountain goats / game cameras, and have watched the herd very closely for a number of years, while using this salt. I can year after year pick out the same individual goats, as well as nannys and their offsprings while monitoring through cam’s.

Iv never once seen a reason or a sign that the softener was doing them bad…. Other then them fighting over it.

Bottom line though, we don’t want to cause problems in these animals. If anyone has anything solid about softer being bad, I would really like to know and see it.

Going with brown trace mineral blocks, will update how my first scouting season using cams goes, first for salts/minerals too for that matter

We used to have great success with salt blocks particularly at higher elevation- elk really love it. Unfortunately we are in Region 4 and can't do it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    We used to have great success with salt blocks particularly at higher elevation- elk really love it. Unfortunately we are in Region 4 and can't do it anymore.
    Really why is that? Another fella commented that as well. You guys can use them say in spring/summer for cam shots and just not during hunting season. Or can outright not use them at all?

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Really why is that? Another fella commented that as well. You guys can use them say in spring/summer for cam shots and just not during hunting season. Or can outright not use them at all?
    The stated reason was CWD spread in ungulates- wanting to avoid concentration. Not certain but I think it's all year.

Got the blacktail set ups done, my one spot has Elk droppings right infront of the lick/cam along with Deer so maybe I can get some footage of one.

This weekend will be up in Region 8 and hopefully get at least one set up for the Elk. As the season goes on if I get some good pics and results on the licks will post back

Went with the TM brown salt block, I think they're made by Salvtec.

Here is the first week of my one blacktail spot

The first pic has two bucks if you look hard, the one that is sprouting brow tines in the following pics is the one in the back, unless there were more

Checking my other blacktail one this weekend, and just put one up for elk which I will be checking in two weeks.

Man do these things ROCK!! I can. not. believe! I have not used these before, what fun lol!

His claw haha