Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Training a pointer- Tips and tricks

Re: Training a pointer- Tips and tricks

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    I see quite a few dogs at the tests where e-collars are not permitted and the "obedient"dog turns into a lunatic because he knows the handler has no control over them.
    That be the day where I have to have a gadget on my dog to make sure he'll listen when hunting.
    I hunted with a friend and his two pointers last year (one GWP and one Pudel), and the different styles were apparent. His dogs were far ranging and required a whistle and lots of vocal input, whereas my Weimaraners (thanks to my Teutonic bride and her amazing dog training skills) would stay within 40-50 meters, and follow my hand signals. I know how I prefer to hunt…

In the end, both styles of work got us birds, but I like having a close dog. If I lived in the prairies, I’m sure they would range a bit further out as we could still maintain visual contact.

Buy and read both these books a couple of times before your dog arrives:

If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Our dog should be here mid June. I feel like I’m already behind schedule on learning at my end.

Have A GSP who is "home schooled" never used a collar on her during training but use one now. They are a tool nothing more she needs a buzz (vibrate)every now and then (my collar has sound vibrate and nick) when she starts to break on a runner but she has been great at the 30m sweep. She does everything I want in a pointer and never had one until her. So my advice take your time ,trying to do too much too fast can lead to some not so good habits. Enjoy the moment sometimes they seem to be too short.Have had 3 labs and a golden retriever all "home schooled" patience and time.
    Last edited by Dutch; 05-12-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Dutch is right. Lots of patience. 15 mins of training is tons. Anymore and they stop learning. Little by little is the way.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Also realize there is never a "fully broke" gun dog. If you are on your own books can share things to work on, but when things go south as they will from time to time, how you react as a handler could possibly lead to future problems. If unsure, to the point of even blowing a gasket, take a break even if it means cutting your hunting day short. Then back to the drawing board to figure out what went wrong.