Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American type labrador breeder

Re: American type labrador breeder

I understand that you are only relaying your personal experience. I hear you. What I’m trying to get through your thick Mensa head is that all your input does for the OP is muddy the informational waters.

These are living, breathing creatures that are destined to become valued family members. Comparing them to guns is not the same conversation.

I’m trying to present factual, science based information to help the OP make an informed choice. Anecdotal experience, that you are essentially derailing this thread with, has very little validity when it conflicts head on with facts and science.

A smart guy like you should be able to understand that concept.

This nonsense is the reason a lot of knowledgeable people just give up. It’s really not worth the aggravation. Looks like Foxton, 35 rem, Kasomor, Eromit and quite a few others have quit as well. Too bad because threads like this become cluttered with misinformation and peoples fragile egos don’t seem to allow them to make a cognitive shift and admit there’s more to learn.

The results are not positive.
    Last edited by labguy; 04-17-2022 at 08:52 AM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    I understand that you are only relaying your personal experience. I hear you. What I’m trying to get through your thick Mensa head is that all your input does for the OP is muddy the informational waters.

These are living, breathing creatures that are destined to become valued family members. Comparing them to guns is not the same conversation.

I’m trying to present factual, science based information to help the OP make an informed choice. Anecdotal experience, that you are essentially derailing this thread with, has very little validity when it conflicts head on with facts and science.

A smart guy like you should be able to understand that concept.

This nonsense is the reason a lot of knowledgeable people just give up. It’s really not worth the aggravation. Looks like Foxton, 35 rem, Kasomor, Eromit and quite a few others have quit as well. Too bad because threads like this become cluttered with misinformation and peoples fragile egos don’t seem to allow them to make a cognitive shift and admit there’s more to learn.

The results are not positive.
    I don't know you, or Iron glove, but boy, you sure sound like you enjoy your own voice? Just saying, let it go dude! I get it, you know labs!! Boy, go play with your mutts or something!!! Happy Easter!
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Sorry to hear about your experiences Steven. Histories of knee issues are another thing that most reputable and ethical breeders are now paying very close attention to before choosing sires and dams.

There is a structural element (angle of the tibial plateau) that is the cause of a lot (most) knee injuries in Labradors. Knowing the history of breeding pairs and their parents before them , and choosing to not breed to them, has greatly reduced the instances of cruciate ligament damage.

This is again, why it is so important to chose a breeder that is up to speed on the latest pre breeding standards.

It would be nice if 35 rem (a respected and experienced veterinarian who has surgically repaired countless cruciate injuries in dogs) would chime in to clarify. Unfortunately he seems to given up trying to educate the ones on here who constantly want to argue or derail topics about things they know very little of (like IG).

I have no skin in this game as I am not a breeder. The only reason I input these threads is to try to help uneducated people make good choices and avoid the whole world of hurt that’s possible. It’s sad seeing what can happen to the dogs and the people that care about them when bad advice is followed.
    i APPRECIATE YOU. and your knowledgable input.it is what has been explained to us by our DVM.thank you for taking the time to reply.i never talked to FOX about our 3 for 3 history..a lot of owners wouldnt or couldnt cough up the cash 3x..i was working at the time..
    im glad they have got a eye on this issue.
    thank you
    steven /Susan/ Ebony

I never seen or heard of a crucial tear until my daughters Pitt had one .Have had 3 labs and a golden ,my last lab chocolate supposedly free from all defects tore his right at 7 and left at 12.Was lucky? as the daughter was going to school at Washington State a Veterinary university so got the family discount ,about half of what it would cost here even with exchange. I have hunted over dogs my entire life (early 70's) and my first hunting club you were REQUIRED to have a dog and don't remember anything like the issues I have seen in the last 20 years with dogs health. The flood gates are open I guess and even if you do your homework I'm sure there are going to be problems occasionally it is inevitable. The latest big black boy I have is from a respected U.S. line but I have to say I pay much closer attention to his health and exercise program than any in the past.My chocolate lived quite comfortably to 15 ,longer than any other I have had.

Have a pup coming from Streamline Retrievers in late May. Excited is putting it mildly. Finding huntable waterfowl populations on the Island is harder than finding a good breeder.

Previous lab was 16 when he went and the total medical tab was an overnight stay at the vet when he inhaled lbs of baking chocolate when he was younger. We were lucky.

GuloGal enjoy the search. Starting a year early will help.

Someday retrievers in Kamloops/cherry creek produce some great american labs, Linda has been in the game for over 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BowsUp View Post
    Have a pup coming from Streamline Retrievers in late May. Excited is putting it mildly. Finding huntable waterfowl populations on the Island is harder than finding a good breeder.

Previous lab was 16 when he went and the total medical tab was an overnight stay at the vet when he inhaled lbs of baking chocolate when he was younger. We were lucky.

GuloGal enjoy the search. Starting a year early will help.
    Congrats on the new pup! Im not sure where you are on the north island but if you are looking to get out with a training group shoot me a message. We are always willing to entertain folks with well bred pups!

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

I know I’ll be wasting my time here as we’ve been over this before but:

Its not about breeders being up to anyones “personal” standards. There are certain minimum ETHICAL breeding standards for health clearances that have been developed over decades that are widely accepted by purebred breeders associations the world over. These standards continue to develop as newer understanding of genetics and the role they play in animal health evolve. These standards help insure the continued improvement of the breed and significantly reduce the risk of the heartbreak of puppy buyers getting a defective animal.

White Robin has not meet these minimum standards.
    I am in agreement here. These days there are just so many tools to avoid faulty genetic issues in animals to *not* use them. Yes, they are expensive, but everyone seems to be charging thousands for their puppies now, so there is little reason to choose a breeder who willfully chooses not to test IMO. This is why I am starting my search 1-2 years in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    all had the usual claims of health checks and eyes clear..hips..etc etc..first one needed both knees done...$4,000...no problem.
    second one needed knees done $4,000...4 months later needed to be put down..due to agressive face/nasal cancer.
    current family member also needed the $4,000 knees done...she is 12 and needs help up any stairs but is AMAZING friend pet family member and dearly loved.however she will need to be put to sleep to join her sisters this May i suspect.
    It's important to actually look at and verify the testing. Reputable breeders are transparent about their health screening and welcome informed buyers that do their due diligence. For example, Eromit has links to all their breeding dogs' test results on their respective websites, such as OFA.

Quote Originally Posted by SignalLight View Post
    It's important to actually look at and verify the testing. Reputable breeders are transparent about their health screening and welcome informed buyers that do their due diligence. For example, Eromit has links to all their breeding dogs' test results on their respective websites, such as OFA.
    Would some of you be willing to break down why the test are? What are they checking for? What’s the measurement? What are normal margins etc?