Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American type labrador breeder

American type labrador breeder

Hey,

Starting to look at breeders for a pup in a year or two, looks like most of the hunting breeders in BC have English type labs and I'm after an American type. Willing to travel although would prefer not go crazy far. For one of the most common breeds I wouldn't have thought this search would be as tricky as it is. Any recommendations? (Have already contacted Eromit).

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: American type labrador breeder

Quote Originally Posted by GuloGal View Post
    Hey,

Starting to look at breeders for a pup in a year or two, looks like most of the hunting breeders in BC have English type labs and I'm after an American type. Willing to travel although would prefer not go crazy far. For one of the most common breeds I wouldn't have thought this search would be as tricky as it is. Any recommendations? (Have already contacted Eromit).

Thanks
    Belmont gun dogs. They actually have a litter on the ground right now that is VERY nice.
    Hunt Dog Training; Obedience Training; Labrador Puppies for Sale; Game Birds | Belmont Properties Gundogs & Gamebirds (bcgundogs.com)

Also Streamline retrievers breeds nice dogs.
    Streamline Retrievers (facebook.com)

Both kennels run competitive field trails and hunt tests and both owners hunt.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Someday Retrievers in Kamloops also breeds American Labs. White Robin in Princeton does, as well, as far as I know.
    He's NOT your buddy, buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Someday Retrievers in Kamloops also breeds American Labs. White Robin in Princeton does, as well, as far as I know.
    White Robin does have Americans.
    I know some here don't like to see references to Breeders that they consider not up to their standards re testing and such ( best to ask ANY Breeder exactly what testing is done ) but we've had some exposure to White Robin Labs and what we've seen is good.
    Our cabin neighbour had a male, a natural bird dog. Daughter and her Family have one, it'll be 16 soon so longevity can be good and friends of ours in Hope have 2 from them. One is a bird fanatic.

I got a black lab off a fellow in viking alberta. His female is one of linda's hunting dogs from someday retrievers. And the male he uses is a hunting dog as well. I don't bird hunt, but I might have to with what i am seeing from my pup, he seems to already know parts of the bird hunting lessons without being taught. PM me and i can give you his number. He also delivers the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    White Robin does have Americans.
    I know some here don't like to see references to Breeders that they consider not up to their standards re testing and such ( best to ask ANY Breeder exactly what testing is done ) but we've had some exposure to White Robin Labs and what we've seen is good.
    Our cabin neighbour had a male, a natural bird dog. Daughter and her Family have one, it'll be 16 soon so longevity can be good and friends of ours in Hope have 2 from them. One is a bird fanatic.
    I know I’ll be wasting my time here as we’ve been over this before but:

Its not about breeders being up to anyones “personal” standards. There are certain minimum ETHICAL breeding standards for health clearances that have been developed over decades that are widely accepted by purebred breeders associations the world over. These standards continue to develop as newer understanding of genetics and the role they play in animal health evolve. These standards help insure the continued improvement of the breed and significantly reduce the risk of the heartbreak of puppy buyers getting a defective animal.

White Robin has not meet these minimum standards.

So it doesn’t matter that your very limited experience with them has been good. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

You obviously know nothing about this topic and would do the OP and others a greater service by sticking to topics you have some knowledge of…you know…like on insurance related threads. If you were truly as intelligent as you claim and as thoughtful and informed as you try to present yourself, you would thoroughly research this yourself. Afterwards, should your grossly inflated ego allow you to, maybe come back here and publicly apologize for continuing to spread misleading and potentially damaging opinions based on a very limited knowledge and understanding of this topic.

To the original poster: Lorne Parker’s recommendations are the best ones to follow so far.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    I know I’ll be wasting my time here as we’ve been over this before but:

Its not about breeders being up to anyones “personal” standards. There are certain minimum ETHICAL breeding standards for health clearances that have been developed over decades that are widely accepted by purebred breeders associations the world over. These standards continue to develop as newer understanding of genetics and the role they play in animal health evolve. These standards help insure the continued improvement of the breed and significantly reduce the risk of the heartbreak of puppy buyers getting a defective animal.

White Robin has not meet these minimum standards.

So it doesn’t matter that your very limited experience with them has been good. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

You obviously know nothing about this topic and would do the OP and others a greater service by sticking to topics you have some knowledge of…you know…like on insurance related threads. If you were truly as intelligent as you claim and as thoughtful and informed as you try to present yourself, you would thoroughly research this yourself. Afterwards, should your grossly inflated ego allow you to, maybe come back here and publicly apologize for continuing to spread misleading and potentially damaging opinions based on a very limited knowledge and understanding of this topic.

To the original poster: Lorne Parker’s recommendations are the best ones to follow so far.
    Thanks again Labby for the expected support.
    As stated many times before ( and again here ) I am only commenting on my own, and close friends, personal experiences with the Breeder in question as another Member had mentioned their name, nothing else.
    As with ALL Breeders it's incumbent upon the prospective purchaser to exercise due diligence.
    Notice I'm not engaging in any personal insults such as you are.
    I guess we'll just continue on, as usual.

hmm we have had 3 different purebred labs from three different breeders from accross the province....ALL have been great family members all had the usual claims of health checks and eyes clear..hips..etc etc..first one needed both knees done...$4,000...no problem.
    second one needed knees done $4,000...4 months later needed to be put down..due to agressive face/nasal cancer.
    current family member also needed the $4,000 knees done...she is 12 and needs help up any stairs but is AMAZING friend pet family member and dearly loved.however she will need to be put to sleep to join her sisters this May i suspect.
    dont begrudge the $$$$ because we truly got love beyond measure from them all.
    after the first set of knees..didnt expect to be 3 for 3 so thats part of Labs i guess.the cancer happened.
    so i wont recomend any breeders...but we STILL LOVE LABS.Thanks ladies.
    good luck
    steven

Sorry to hear about your experiences Steven. Histories of knee issues are another thing that most reputable and ethical breeders are now paying very close attention to before choosing sires and dams.

There is a structural element (angle of the tibial plateau) that is the cause of a lot (most) knee injuries in Labradors. Knowing the history of breeding pairs and their parents before them , and choosing to not breed to them, has greatly reduced the instances of cruciate ligament damage.

This is again, why it is so important to chose a breeder that is up to speed on the latest pre breeding standards.

It would be nice if 35 rem (a respected and experienced veterinarian who has surgically repaired countless cruciate injuries in dogs) would chime in to clarify. Unfortunately he seems to given up trying to educate the ones on here who constantly want to argue or derail topics about things they know very little of (like IG).

I have no skin in this game as I am not a breeder. The only reason I input these threads is to try to help uneducated people make good choices and avoid the whole world of hurt that’s possible. It’s sad seeing what can happen to the dogs and the people that care about them when bad advice is followed.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Unfortunately he seems to given up trying to educate the ones on here who constantly want to argue or derail topics about things they know very little of (like IG).
    There you go again Labby, tossing out innuendos, try reading and comprehending what I've said about the Breeder in question.
    To refresh your failing memory, a Member suggested that a couple of Breeders have American Labs. I simply noted that that Broker did breed Americans and we have close personal experience with a number of their dogs. I also tossed in the caveat about doing due diligence. Not arguing, not derailing, simply commenting that a Breeder that was suggested by another Member did breed Americans.
    "Personal experience", whether positive or negative, is valuable to someone looking for a Dog or whatever, it should be welcome here, not derided - you seem to favour some sort of censorship when it comes to Dogs.
    Don't want to compare dogs to guns but many hunters diss the Savage Axis, you know, flimsy stock, plastic parts, etc. and then go on to suggest other rifles. Son had a Savage Axis in 270 for years, shoots lights out and get his deer and bear year in, year out. I upgraded him to a Tikka this year, he loves it but talks fondly of his Axis. Son In Law has same in 30-06, at the local Range yesterday his 100 yard shots were one big clover leaf. Like discussing dogs, I think it's beneficial to have input from ALL angles regardless of what others might think.
    Have a Great Easter.