Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DFO Incompetence yet again...

Thumbs down DFO Incompetence yet again...

Why a federal salmon study that found viruses at B.C. fish farms took 10 years to be released

For ten years, Kristi Miller-Saunders could not fully disclose the results of her study that showed a virus spreading among fish-farmed salmon in British Columbia.

The federal Fisheries Department in the government of Stephen Harper would not release the 2012 report into open-net fish farms, a position that continued with the Trudeau government.

In March, the federal Information Commissioner ordered the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) to release the information that found pathogens among open-net fish farms in the province. The commissioner ruled that suppressing publication of the document was not justified. “The complaint is well-founded,” the commissioner said of a request to access the material.

Dr. Miller-Saunders, who was a key author of the 2012 report, expressed frustration that it took until March of this year for the findings to finally surface. The study found that fish-farmed salmon suffered from jaundice and anemia because of the highly contagious Piscine orthoreovirus (PRV). This virus is associated with organ failure in chinook although it is not considered harmful to humans.

Dr. Miller-Saunders said PRV continues to be identified as a threat to wild Pacific salmon, notably Chinook and coho, and a transmission risk between farmed and wild salmon.

“Moreover, sequence epidemiology, similar to what has been done to track the spread of SARS-CoV-2 in humans, shows that the virus originated in Norway and spread to North America some 30 to 35 years ago, and is being actively transmitted between farmed and wild salmon in B.C.,” she wrote in her statement.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...s-released-10/
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 04-14-2022 at 10:49 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Thumbs down Re: DFO Incompetence yet again...

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: DFO Incompetence yet again...

Hey, there’s an election coming.
    Someone on the libs needs money for signs during campaign.
    It is disgusting though.

Arrow Re: DFO Incompetence yet again...

From Tradex Foods:

This week we report on the dying Pacific Salmon populations in British Columbia Canada, as the political chaos within Canadian fisheries management over open-net Farmed Atlantic Salmon and Wild Pacific Salmon make international headlines. In 2021, only 660,000 Pacific Salmon were commercially harvested in B.C. waters compared to over 40 million Salmon in 1991 - which is over 30 years ago, when DFO was first alerted that Wild Salmon in B.C. might be in trouble. Take a look at this exclusive clip of what Alexandra Morton, (a Canadian Biologist who has studied Pacific Salmon for the last thirty years) had to say about recent headlines relating to DFO's suppression of the virus research.

Guess he got to Know me

This is sick. I've seen the same type of thing when I was working for the government. Can we go after some of these people personally in court? This isn't a honest mistake but an intentional coverup.

standing committee on F and O

Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Zeeman pretty much nails it in that one.

Guess he got to Know me

I can't believe something so damaging and blatantly obvious as the failure and deceit from DFO is not getting more attention and negative coverage
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Arrow Re: DFO Incompetence yet again...

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    I can't believe something so damaging and blatantly obvious as the failure and deceit from DFO is not getting more attention and negative coverage
    That's what happens when you purposely buy the media.

Guess he got to Know me

I can’t believe how studies, funded ultimately by us the tax payer can stay disclosed and not released?!?
    If it wasn’t for whistle blowers who knows what we would know?
    Still makes me wonder how much money/ power is behind this industry that 2 different leaders from 2 different political parties keep the study hidden??
    who is the big player and how much money do they have behind them??