Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tub trailers.

Re: Tub trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I’m planning on dragging it into the Richardson backcountry. It’s a winter road that turns to sand in the summer with lots of moguls. I usually travel somewhere around 50kms. Everybody I know who bought a single axle either destroyed the trailer or everything inside their trailer.

I’m definitely going to need something with real high speed bearings and stuff. I like the idea of the single axle with suspension. I was going to order something this week, but something came up so I might have to wait a couple more weeks.
    The dual axle will definitely run smoother, especially over water bars and pot holes. I'd go that route before a suspension myself. I run mine on 25 inch atv tires/rims, the bigger tires help too.

I use a tetra pod for all my hunting and back woods camping needs. They are very handy, lots of room, keep the gear dry and mud free. They are a bit heavy but they are tough. They fit 2 fully 1/4ed bull moose and the heads.

Plus, it turns into a boat. $3200 iirc, and turns into a boat. So for not much more than a good tube trailer you also got a boat.

If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    I use a tetra pod for all my hunting and back woods camping needs. They are very handy, lots of room, keep the gear dry and mud free. They are a bit heavy but they are tough. They fit 2 fully 1/4ed bull moose and the heads.

Plus, it turns into a boat. $3200 iirc, and turns into a boat. So for not much more than a good tube trailer you also got a boat.

Those things are pretty big, a friend of mine has one. He ended up buying a used one last year because he couldn’t find a new one

Those things are pretty big, a friend of mine has one. He ended up buying a used one last year because he couldn’t find a new one
    They are a fair size but if you are going way in you need lots of room for gear and 1/4’s. We used a marlin last year as well and it was also great. They have bigger tires and are lighter so they pull with ease. I have 700 grizzlies so they can handle some big loads. We load them up like a bus in bagdad. Every inch of the trailer and all the racks are loaded. I feel bad for the machines but they do it. You burn lots of gas. If its not froze up and its muskeg and wet you will be winching trough the wet spots, as those heavy trailers bog you down. I would buy an other, the next one will have the hwy tires and lights on it so I can pull it behind the truck to get there.

The tetra pod didn’t take up anymore room than the marlin trailer but the marlin was a fair bit lighter. The tetra pod fit way more stuff cause the top and bottom are equal in size.

Whatever you do get a lid.
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 04-17-2022 at 07:41 PM.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    They are a fair size but if you are going way in you need lots of room for gear and 1/4’s. We used a marlin last year as well and it was also great. They have bigger tires and are lighter so they pull with ease. I have 700 grizzlies so they can handle some big loads. We load them up like a bus in bagdad. Every inch of the trailer and all the racks are loaded. I feel bad for the machines but they do it. You burn lots of gas. If its not froze up and its muskeg and wet you will be winching trough the wet spots, as those heavy trailers bog you down. I would buy an other, the next one will have the hwy tires and lights on it so I can pull it behind the truck to get there.

The tetra pod didn’t take up anymore room than the marlin trailer but the marlin was a fair bit lighter. The tetra pod fit way more stuff cause the top and bottom are equal in size.

Whatever you do get a lid.
    I have two 500 size machines and I usually go with some friends who have bigger machines so my plan is to throw the heavy stuff like fuel and food on one quad and use the other quad with trailer for packing the lighter stuff like camping gear. I’m used to being a bit of a minimalist from backpack hinting so a trailer is really a bonus for the wife and kids. And I don’t go in muskeg if I can avoid it, that’s not my idea of fun. Lol.

I did just check out the specs on the marlin vs plastic tub and the plastic tub with steel frame is actually a touch lighter than the marlon. I’ve seen a marlon ripped in half before too.

You planning on buying or building/getting built?

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    You planning on buying or building/getting built?
    I’m just going to buy one.

By the time you add up the price of hubs, tires and a walking beam I don’t think a guy could build one for much cheaper.

The key thing with a single axle is tire presser it must be adjusted to the load then it won’t bounce around. Also soft walled tires not heavy old ATV tires. My little single axle is 40 years old has a 4foot add on reach extension for when I take my 18’ canoe out. The gear and extras is around 150lbs, on ruff trail I run not much more than a pound of air = no bounce.
    Last edited by MRP; 04-18-2022 at 04:57 PM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I’m just going to buy one.

By the time you add up the price of hubs, tires and a walking beam I don’t think a guy could build one for much cheaper.
    You’re not wrong. I built a single axle a few years ago, and while it may be overbuilt compared to any commercial offerings I’ve seen, I was $1500 into it at that time. I did have to sub out the alum fab work for the tub / lid (over 1/2 the total cost including material) so it could have been a bit cheaper if I had my own Tig welder. I also used pricey 22-10-8 8pr UTV tires so a 2000lb load is no problem if the ground will support it.

And I agree with MRP. Tire pressure is key to a decent ride on a single axle. Not going to say it’s better than a tandem walking beam, but simple, cheaper, and does great for me. My tires are my suspension.
    Pretend hunter.

I have owned a 5 foot paddle plastics with the tandem axle walking beam since 2016 and have dragged it behind my quad all over the Yukon on rough trail/no trail and it has been really good - fits a whole big bull moose. I have had to do a couple bush fixes to it but nothing crazy ( I carry a tube with me now for sidewall tares) . The bearings are easy to grease which I do pretty often because the thing nearly lives in water on some hunts. I would buy another in a heartbeat and it would be a tandem, when I go with friends and watch how their single axles act on rough trail it makes me feel sorry for what's inside it.