Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Leh

Re: Leh

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    I would read that as though 13 people entered that draw. [ 2 tags at 6.4:1 ] but for some reason I didn't think they posted the draw odds on the results paper that they mailed out. Or am I not remembering that part correctly.
    They usually tell you what the odds ended up being, the odds in the paper are from the previous year. That is the way I read it too, I think it would be nice to have access to more detailed information. The stories from guys like Redthies are far too common and they shouldn't be, people will say that is just how a lottery works and applying multiple years won't give you a better chance of drawing, but that doesn't take into account the probability of that happening. Take an example of a dice, 6 sides, a 1 in 6 odds, how many rolls would you expect it to take before you hit the number you were after? I think there are adjustments they could make to our current system to spread the wealth around a bit more so applicants didn't have to wait a lifetime to win a draw [in a lot of the draws].

So when I got a moose two years ago, the odds for the draw that I applied for was printed right on the authorization sheet for each LEH member.
    Also, last year, I submitted a Freedom of Information access request detailing draw odds and calculations, tag numbers and first choice vs second choice allocations etc ( I'm a data analyst so numbers are kinda my thing ) and they replied back that the scope of the query was too broad and that it would cost me thousands of dollars in processing fees to complete my request. As a result of my request though, they had already built the database query, and as such they would be releasing the data publicly.
    So here it is boys:
    LEH draw data 2002 to Current
    https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dat...a-8b8142f0cba5

Quote Originally Posted by wifigary View Post
    So when I got a moose two years ago, the odds for the draw that I applied for was printed right on the authorization sheet for each LEH member.
    Also, last year, I submitted a Freedom of Information access request detailing draw odds and calculations, tag numbers and first choice vs second choice allocations etc ( I'm a data analyst so numbers are kinda my thing ) and they replied back that the scope of the query was too broad and that it would cost me thousands of dollars in processing fees to complete my request. As a result of my request though, they had already built the database query, and as such they would be releasing the data publicly.
    So here it is boys:
    LEH draw data 2002 to Current
    https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dat...a-8b8142f0cba5
    A maze of information on there, thanks for the share. You are more familiar with it, can you find out how many licensed hunters purchase moose tags? And how many total moose leh tags are distributed. Oh my, hit a technology wall, seems I can't get into the numbers.
    Last edited by HappyJack; 04-13-2022 at 08:14 AM.

It doesn't go into detail on how many people were in each group or if they were group/shared/individual applications. They did say that the odds on the group hunts are the number of groups or individuals that applied, as they only count as a single entry each. The odds on the shared hunts represent the total number of people contained within the shared hunt group.

There's no tag purchasing data on there as the scope was limited to just the draw. It's not a requirement of the draw, even if you're successful, to go on and buy a tag.

You're looking for "Hunting sales statistics":
    https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dat...4-217ab5b1c76c

The quick answer is between 35-40,000 moose tags sold on average per year from 2005-2021

Have fun!
    Last edited by wifigary; 04-13-2022 at 08:25 AM.

It will take more time to collect data on wildlife to support wildlife management decisions. However we have been collecting data on hunters for some time, and it could/SHOULD be used to lay out hunting opportunity.

As an example, some data from the Government system. REGION 4 Only, this represents a sample of the data Government collects.

A total of 11,898 hunting licences sold last year to 'residents' of region 4.
    52% of those licences check the bowhunting box.

Of the 11,898 licences sold, 4,922 R4 residents submitted LEH requests.

614 R4 residents (5%) received a moose LEH for R4.
    2909 R4 Residents (24%) received an LEH for any (other) species.

I would propose, where you have 5% of a local area authorized to hunt under LEH, it isn't long (1 generation) where the skills to hunt a specific species are lost.

We know LEH will be the end of hunting. And it is receiving approval as the go to solution for Government more frequently. What we can do is, consider managing hunting opportunity based on who hunters are proving to be. We can be much more creative in building opportunity.
    Last edited by J_T; 04-13-2022 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wifigary View Post
    It doesn't go into detail on how many people were in each group or if they were group/shared/individual applications. They did say that the odds on the group hunts are the number of groups or individuals that applied, as they only count as a single entry each. The odds on the shared hunts represent the total number of people contained within the shared hunt group.

There's no tag purchasing data on there as the scope was limited to just the draw. It's not a requirement of the draw, even if you're successful, to go on and buy a tag.

You're looking for "Hunting sales statistics":
    https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dat...4-217ab5b1c76c

The quick answer is between 35-40,000 moose tags sold on average per year from 2005-2021

Have fun!
    Thanks, that provides the answer I was looking for.

Provincially, using the combination of this Hunting Sales statistics and Big Game Harvest information for the years 2015, 16 and 17: (I don't have combination data after 2017)
    Note the 11-14% success rate. Which translates to a high number of unsatisfied moose hunters and the LEH system.

Year
    2015 #Hunting Licences 86,370 #moose tags 38,067 %of hunters buying a moose tag 44% #moose harvests 5,538 %of moose hunter success 14%
    2016 #Hunting Licences 90,288 #moose tags 39,556 %of hunters buying a moose tag 43% #moose harvests 4,973 %of moose hunter success 12%
    2017 #Hunting Licences 90,582 #moose tags 38,874 %of hunters buying a moose tag 42% #moose harvests 4,445 %of moose hunter success 11%

The number of moose tags purchased is not equal to the number of moose LEH draws, as there are GOS Moose seasons.

I'm not sure if much of this below applies to this thread, but I'd rather provide more information and let you determine what you want to read. (transparency?)

From the "Strategy to Help Restore Moose Populations in BC" 2016, Al Gorley.

According to the Big Game Harvest Management procedure and the Moose Harvest Management procedure, the AAH will be set to be compatible with achieving management objectives. Unless alternate objectives have been identified, the primary population management objective for big game populations will be to maintain post-hunt numbers for each population management unit (PMU) at or near “current” levels.

It will not be easy. Surveys tell us that significant declines in moose numbers during the last decade have occurred in the some regions of British Columbia, often corresponding with widespread habitat alteration caused by salvage harvesting of beetle-killed timber. Experts suggest that in time, salvage logging could benefit moose through increased forage production. In the short-term however the higher density of roads and cut blocks can increase hunting and predator pressure, and disadvantage moose.

Government estimates also show that provincially the licensed moose harvest has fallen from about 14,000 in the late 1980s to less than 6,000in 2014, while hunter effort (average days hunted) has remained relatively constant. First Nations and stakeholders across the province are concerned about these trends, and have encouraged adoption of a moose population enhancement initiative. This report makes 21 recommendations that complement the provincial framework for moose management (2015), collectively providing a strategy to help restore the seriously depleted moose populations in some parts of the province, and enhance numbers elsewhere. The effectiveness of various methods will differ depending on local circumstances, and it will take some time to achieve results.

RECOMMENDATION:
    2. Confirm the present guidance on harvest priorities as the hierarchy to inform operational objective setting and management.

REASONS:
    The existing guidance to decision makers responsible for regulating hunting is to place the highest priority on conservation, followed by the right of First Nations to hunt. Hunting done under the Wildlife Act may then occur and is split(allocated) between resident hunters and guide outfitters.

“The history of inventory and monitoring in BC, with some notable exceptions, has largely been ad hoc and reactive to management issues and concerns. A more structured, adaptive approach that connects inventory and monitoring to decision making through management objectives will help to resolve this” (Draft: Strategic Big Game Inventory and Monitoring Plan). The provincial framework for moose management describes how priorities are set for monitoring.

Provincial population estimates are determined every three to five years using a combination of survey data and expert opinion. Since 2000 they have been expressed as a range (120,000 – 205,000 in 2014). This number is useful to show general trends, but does not provide sufficiently specific information to make operational decisions. The confidence level is higher at the regional and sub-regional level, but there will be variations between game management zones. Adequate estimates will be needed at a relatively fine scale to inform population enhancement activities.
    Last edited by J_T; 04-13-2022 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Struggle with the table....

Still not open yet. Maybe no limited entry this year....

With all the Indian stuff happening I bet there will be no LEHs
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

No leh? Sounds like that means GOS.