Thread: Crossbow questions from a newbie

Crossbow questions from a newbie

Hello everybody,

i am relatively new to bow hunting and was lucky enough to harvest my first Blacktail last season
    My current setup is a bulldog 380 shooting 475gr approx 340fps and worked great

So here is my question

1) i was thinking of upgrading to a bulldog 440 and shoot approx 450gr
    maximizing for my forever bow

I've heard about the possible Limb problems and understand the risk but feel if im using a heavy arrow it should reduce the risk and give me a little extra insurance. Giving me almost 160 ft/lb kinetic energy.

my second question is
    i have a opportunity to purchase a bulldog 400 is it worth it or should i just stick with my 380?

i understand most people have been suggesting the micro series except I'm not a small man and find i cant get enough eye relief and the bows feel really small when i shoulder them
    does anybody have any suggestion on extending the stock?

also any ideas of getting a adjustabke cheek piece

sorry for all the questions

2. Site Sponsor

Arrow Re: Crossbow questions from a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jay1972 View Post
    So here is my question

1) i was thinking of upgrading to a bulldog 440 and shoot approx 450gr
    maximizing for my forever bow

I've heard about the possible Limb problems and understand the risk but feel if im using a heavy arrow it should reduce the risk and give me a little extra insurance. Giving me almost 160 ft/lb kinetic energy.

my second question is
    i have a opportunity to purchase a bulldog 400 is it worth it or should i just stick with my 380?

Does anybody have any suggestion on extending the stock?

Also any ideas of getting a adjustable cheek piece
    I have not heard of any issues with the Bulldog 440 as far as limbs are concerned.
    Excalibur did have a run of limbs that went south a couple of years ago, but appear to have quickly rectified that.
    Their excellent warranty covered all effected.

A heavier arrow, and a heavier custom string with whiskers will both reduce the stress on the limbs.

The differences between the 380 & 400 Bulldog bows are minimal.
    If your ambition is the 440, I would pass until you can make that one work.

Excalibur makes stock extenders for most bows: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/85417...stock-x-tender

There is a fellow on the Excalibur Forum that makes adjustable cheek pieces for members:

https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/ph...hp?f=1&t=71538

You would have to sign up on order to be able to pm him: https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/index.php

Theirs is a great Forum with a bunch of friendly folks on it. Worth looking in to IMO.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Crossbow questions from a newbie

Thanks to everybody that replied to my question i really appreciate the feed back.

My initial reason for wanting to upgrade my setup is for a couple reasons i know this setup is more then adequate for all the deer i could ever find in BC and most likely Black bear.

My current setup is 325gr zombie slayers with a 125gr Tooth of the Arrow 1in S series giving me approx 450gr total weight.@ around 340fps.

But my Bucket list is to hunt all big game in BC
    Moose, Elk, Caribou, and Even Bision and possibly some sheep. Knowing this i realize that it would probably be benificial to use a heaver setup with more FOC for the larger Game .around the 500 to 525gr.

Which is why i was looking at the BD440.

Doez this make sense or am i still just looking at the a new Shiney Toy

Arrow Re: Crossbow questions from a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jay1972 View Post
    ... But my Bucket list is to hunt all big game in BC
    Moose, Elk, Caribou, and Even Bision and possibly some sheep. Knowing this i realize that it would probably be benificial to use a heaver setup with more FOC for the larger Game .around the 500 to 525gr.

Which is why i was looking at the BD440.

Doez this make sense or am i still just looking at the a new Shiney Toy
    I believe you could take pretty much all on your list with your current set-up.
    That said, the 440 will provide a lot more wallop, and better performance on the larger game animals.

All said, who doesn't like a new set-up??

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Iv owned 2 bull dog 440s and love them zero issues and still own 1

I have the Excalibur Bulldog 400, and I made a point of buying HEAVIER bolts, to slow it down.

I'm using 20" Carbon Express Piledriver bolts, 442grs, with 150gr Excalibur Boltcutter broadhead.

I shot a bull moose at 30 yards, Sept 18 and the bolt absolutely zipped through that moose.

So far that I could not find the bolt... I think it went like 10 yards or something off into the trees.

Speed is over-rated.

I say, go for it but... It's late and the good weather is gone so may take longer to set it up. If I'm wrong it back to my original statement.
    Have fun
    50# RH Bowtech Destroyer
    60# LH Bowtech Destroyer
    KI 415 crossbow
    KI Swat XP crossbow
    KI Swat X1 crossbow
    P17 Eddystone 30/06 w Zeiss Conquest 3-9 scope