Thread: Hunting Advice

Hunting Advice

Hey Everyone,

I am from Vancouver Island, and I think I recognize a few of you from the Sportfishing BC Fourm. I am pretty new hunter, I am going into my third season now.I have been following the forum for a couple years but being new I haven't had much to contribute to the forum yet (one day). I have been a lifelong fisherman but 3 years ago I decided to add hunting to my list of hobbies as well. My first season was a lot of learning, buying gear, lots of practice shooting and boots on the ground. In my first year I got to be apart of a black black bear harvest which was a good learning experience to get the basics of gutting an animal etc. I also managed to get several grouse and ducks that fall. My focus was really on V.I blacktail but I quickly found out these are very tricky animals to hunt. I did manage to see a couple bucks but the timing never worked out in my favour so I never pulled the trigger.

In my second season (2021) I really found my passion for hunting and spent a lot more time out this season doing a lot of Alpine hikes in the early season (roughly 32 days just in the fall deer season). In the spring I was able to harvest my first big game animal, a spring bear and I got to be apart of another hunter harvesting a spring black bear. In the fall I was able to get my first black tail, a nice 2x2 in the beginning of November and then I got another 2x2 on the last weekend of the season. I also spent a lot more time this season learning waterfowl. I did way better for ducks this year then the previous season and got to harvest my first goose.

Thats a little bit of my backstory! Since I am new I figured I needed to add a joke!

A father came home from a ten day deer hunting trip to find his son riding a very expensive new mountain bike.

He asked his son, “Where did you get the money for that new bike? It must have cost a fortune.”

His son answered, “I earned it by hiking.”

The father said, “Come on now son, tell me the truth.”
    His son said, “That is the truth! Every night that you were gone, Mr. Jones from the grocery store would come over to see mom and each time he’d give me a $20 bill and tell me to go take a hike!”

Now for my question and I by no means am asking to be spoon fed here. I have my sights set on an interior hunt this fall for moose. Can anyone suggest any MUs they would suggest going? I will be in the Smithers area in the fall visiting family and have been looking at planning to do a weeklong moose hunt in 6-9 while I'm in the area. I would be putting in for LEH and if not successful then hunt the GOS which from what I read is a complete gong show all over the province for GOS moose.

From what I read 6-9 does not sound like the best region to go. I am able to go basically anywhere in the province. Being my first off island hunt I do not anticipate harvesting an animal but it would be nice to know I am atleast in a region that holds the intended species.

Also any advice for a noob on essential gear for taking on a hunt like this? I don't have quads so it would be a drive and set up camp in the bush and hike each day from there. Or do most guys stay in hotels in town and head out from town each morning? (I should add this isn't a solo hunt. I will have a partner tagging along)

Feel free to PM if you have anything you'd like to share but don't want to do it on the thread. I am pretty experienced with fishing around the island and have guided out of Ucluelet so I would be willing to exchange some information on my end as well!

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by Michael Reiber; 04-06-2022 at 11:48 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Advice

All of region 6 south, so anything south of the Nass river is very likely going LEH only for moose. If you do win a draw around the Smithers area I'd be happy to give some advice.

Congrats on the hunting addiction. Love the joke! sent you a PM. Good luck on your hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyLimper View Post
    All of region 6 south, so anything south of the Nass river is very likely going LEH only for moose. If you do win a draw around the Smithers area I'd be happy to give some advice.
    Thank you for the offer! I'll make sure to PM you if we are successful or if the GOS remains.

"(roughly 32 days just in the fall deer season)"

Damm man, I wish I could take that much time off work

Could be a tough season for GOS moose. Sounds like opportunities are going to be cut way down so the areas still open are going to be even busier than usual. If you don’t get a draw perhaps consider a mule deer hunt in an area open for spike/ fork moose. Your blacktail experience will be great on a muley hunt and you’ll still have an opportunity to bag a moose if you come across a unicorn.