Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seek outside and shipping to canada

Re: Seek outside and shipping to canada

I'll let you know if I pay anything beyond GST and PST when my pack arrives in a month or two. I can't remember if I got hit with any extra brokerage or duty fees when I bought my Cimarron and stove from them last year.

Other than the $10 handling fee Canada Post charged me, all I paid was regular tax last year. SO even declared a lower value for my Cimarron and half nest. I suspect they declared their replacement cost. After I left a review I got a discount code for my next order. It was a stove pipe, damper and a bunch of hardware for the stove I made. Same charges again from Canada post.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Has anyone ever ordered directly from Seek Outside? The shipping rates are very reasonable, but did you have to pay duty on top of it?
    264mag is on point, no idea where rackmaster gets his info.

I've never dealt with Seek Outside, but in the past, with similar purchases from US retailers I've paid either duty or brokerage fees or neither. One thing to make sure is to have them ship USPS if possible. If they ship private carrier such as UPS I can guarantee you a hefty brokerage fee will be added without fail & it's often obscene, well beyond any duty that may have been charged had it gone USPS & inspected by customs.

I have no idea what's in NAFTA, but my understanding is that it primarily affects major industries such as dairy, softwood lumber etc. The government has no problem collecting extra cash from the everyday consumer purchasing outdoor recreational goods in the USA. Due to the volume of goods crossing the border daily, it's a crap shoot whether your order is pulled aside by customs or not. There's an annual personal exemption on duty but I don't recall what the $ value is or if customs has a running tally of your purchases. I've found anything outdoor recreation related seems to come under closer scrutiny. Anything firearms related can be a very long wait. I ordered a HIVIZ foresight for a shotgun in January & it had a customs inspection sticker on the package when it arrived although I don't think I was charged duty. Item cost just under $70, I think that includes shipping. Small package, took at least a month if not longer to get it.

Seek Outside shipping policy clearly states they are not responsible for any customs or duty charges on international orders. You rolls the dice, you takes your chances.
    Last edited by mike31154; 04-21-2022 at 01:08 PM.

^^^^^^This has been been my experience with all the non-USPS couriers delivering cross border to me as well, absolutely usurous brokerage fees. Left a bad enough taste in my mouth that I've vowed to never use Fed-Ex or UPS even domestically ever again(at least until UPS became the only courier that will now ship primers and powder in Canada, of course at their usual obscene rates though).