Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sleeping Cots - do you use them?

Re: Sleeping Cots - do you use them?

I went through a few of the cabelas, teton and other outfitter style cots (x leg design with the bottom and top bars)....which were good enough, but they were all cheaply made, fabric rips eventually, legs bent and cracked

been using the camp time roll a cot for past 2 years, it's the best cot I've used, fair bit lighter, has held up to my fat ass and dogs weight better with fabric showing no tearing and threads separating (combined 320 lbs), no top and bottom bars which is a big comfort thing for me

https://www.camptime.com/collections...8-3-leg-frames
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Did you get them shipped from the states or do they have distribution here in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    I went through a few of the cabelas, teton and other outfitter style cots (x leg design with the bottom and top bars)....which were good enough, but they were all cheaply made, fabric rips eventually, legs bent and cracked

been using the camp time roll a cot for past 2 years, it's the best cot I've used, fair bit lighter, has held up to my fat ass and dogs weight better with fabric showing no tearing and threads separating (combined 320 lbs), no top and bottom bars which is a big comfort thing for me

https://www.camptime.com/collections...8-3-leg-frames

I ordered direct from them, the shipping was a bit pricey, but still worth it imo...wish I got 2 at the same time

it seems like they are the same cots Arctic Oven sells, and Jim Shockey uses
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

It seems our annual moose hunt has become a Cabelas gear fest.
    Bighorn outfitter tent, wood stove and cots.
    A couple notes of caution regarding cots. Be sure to put something under the feet of the cot. Otherwise, you may puncture the tent floor.
    Always put a therma-rest or some type of sleeping pad on the cot. Your kidneys and posterior will appreciate the warmth.
    We use the 2ft x 2ft interlocking foam pads and cover the entire floor with them (about 22 pads). Haven't holed the floor yet.
    Semper in excretum altum

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    I ordered direct from them, the shipping was a bit pricey, but still worth it imo...wish I got 2 at the same time

it seems like they are the same cots Arctic Oven sells, and Jim Shockey uses
    I got mine through Deakin in Vancouver but I'm not sure if they still carry them. I think Deluxe Wall Tents had them for a while too.

I made a set of levelers for them too using a short piece of aluminum and a snap pin, I can easily add height to a low corner. In the wall tent with the family we have a tarp floor under the sleeping area so this is easier than trying to dig in a high leg.
    Last edited by Beaver Skin; 03-30-2022 at 10:02 AM.

They charge $140+ for shipping... Yikes!!! That doubles the price of a cot...

I emailed Camp Time to ask about cheaper shipping options, and they offered me better shipping costs through other carriers...but I ordered pre-covid times, so maybe they have increased lately because of that...no way it was 140 when I ordered, that's beyond excessive

I've been looking at a raft from Pristine Ventures lately, but they also have crazy shipping costs which has me reconsidering options now

Never stay in the wall tent without em. Recommend, won't regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    Cabelas extra lg cot with the side organizer and cot tree. Helps with organization of your stuff.

I sleep with a therma rest on top and, to stop the cold from below, I put all my extra stuff like duffle bag, totes etc under the cot to reduce the cold air.

Cheers

SS
    This is what I use. I'm a tall, broad man and it has served me well for about 14 years.

A couple of points that others have echoed already.

Put something under the feet of the cot.

I use a 3 or 4inch foam on top of the cot as much for warmth as for padding.