Thread: Thoughts on GPS

Thoughts on GPS

Hey guys, I just bought a GPS as i'm starting to do a lot of Blacktail hunting in country that is really easy to get turned around in super thick and dark as well with not a lot of visible landmarks.

Also for long backpack hunts.

I got a garmin 66sr because it has very accurate reading. But didn't realize it only has an internal lithium ion rechargeable battery. I thought it would also have the ability to put in AA's.

Do any of you guys have experience with these? if you do how do you get more charge on backpack or prolonged hunts, powerbank?

Also if anyone knows of any rugged powerbanks that can take AA's as well let me know.

Not sure if I should trade this GPS in for one that takes AA's or if these are good, or if there are any models that can do both having a hard time finding this information

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thoughts on GPS

I am sure Garmin could answer that question for you. Another option is a cell phone in airplane mode so I am told. The best option is to get a compass and map and learn to use it. Turn the GPS on from time to time to verify position. There are a number of threads on here concerning alternate power sources you can carry. But at the end of the day you will never have these worries or concerns with a map and compass.

I’m not sure about your particular model, but I’m guessing it uses a standard phone type cord? USB-c or whatever they call it. FYI I had to buy a data transfer cord for my stuff instead of the cheap gas station ones….

I use the Costco pocket juice brand in the backcountry. Not sure if they still sell them as I haven’t noticed them lately. A couple of those and I charge my portable speaker, gps and phone. They hold a lot more juice than you think. I’ve had this discussion with friends and this seems like the best option instead of a solar panel.

Something else to consider… Santa brought me an adapter for my Milwaukee batteries that has a USB output.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mil...rce/1000765100

I got a couple compasses and maps, but the maps aren't that accurate I found and not always going to be up to date. This is more so for hard to navigate country that is easier to get lost in.

Yeah usb mini I think, i'm leaning towards trading it in and going with a 65s. I'll save 200 bucks and it takes AA's, I like lithiums but can also get the NiMh rechargeable one's so I won't be throwing too much money at batteries. I think being able to take batteries and throw them in as I need is the way to go instead of having to charge.

I have both kinds of garmin, the one that charges with cord last way longer than the one with the AA,
    get a power bank and stick with the one you have

hmmm been using GPS since THE first local unit was delivered to me in Williams lake..they have improved incredibly..
    i currently use the Garmin Montanna...love it..with screen saver film and ability to use the battery and charge the battery pack AND use AA batteries when needed..as well as map card..BC backroads maps...
    never needed a portable recharge unit..although they are out there..
    cheers
    steven
    i buy all my GPS stuff out of Calgary Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmm been using GPS since THE first local unit was delivered to me in Williams lake..they have improved incredibly..
    i currently use the Garmin Montanna...love it..with screen saver film and ability to use the battery and charge the battery pack AND use AA batteries when needed..as well as map card..BC backroads maps...
    never needed a portable recharge unit..although they are out there..
    cheers
    steven
    i buy all my GPS stuff out of Calgary Alberta.
    I currently have a Montana as well & having the option for AA batteries is great not only because they're common, but also because eventually your proprietary battery will wear out & then you're stuck paying Garmin for a new one. As newer units come on the market it gets tough to even find a replacement let alone the sticker shock that comes with proprietary battery packs.

Cell phones are a prime example of non replaceable batteries causing folks to have to upgrade every couple years..... The cost to send in your cell phone for battery replacement not worthwhile.

I took the rechargeable back and went with the 65s that runs on AA's. I also got the bc backroads map book card. I'm likin it so far going to put er to the test this year that's for sure!

What model of the Montana do you guys have?

Yeah the lithium ion rechargeable's will degrade over time as far as battery capacity for sure!!

For anyone that reads this and can find it helpful. I went with the 65s and got a brmb card, I use Lithium AA's. Simply amazing I can't believe all these years have went by and I have not picked one of these up!!! Highly recommend.

I use Garmin Montana 750i u can buy spare battery for it where u can put AA, besides proprietar battery.
    As for bank Power Core 2680 by Anker is good I carry one on my person, and as for base camp and everything else like camping fishing etc Bluetti EB55 with solar panel.
    Where I walk, everything appears in grey...Loosen all hope, you who confronts me!