Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the strangest thing youve found or seen in the back country?

Re: Whats the strangest thing youve found or seen in the back country?

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    One day my partner and I were sitting glassing for rams in the Tatshenshini region.
    Looking up from our spotting scopes we saw a man walking towards us. Except for a tiny pair of bikini underwear, he was completely naked.
    He WAS carrying a rifle.
    Wonder if it was one of the members on this forum...
    Was he wearing gators?

I live hiking in shorts, but gators are a must.

Found a quarter sized seashell at 5000’ish feet in region 7.

Seen a lone pilot spend the day in his camp on north Gataga lake, naked. Up on the mountain the bugs were insane, no idea how he was managing there down on the lake.

The mountains are always watching lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    An 8x8 square hemmed in by a split rail fence on the top of a hump at the end of an overgrown logging road. Nothing but grass growing in the middle surrounded by 20ish year old second growth.

another time I was exploring some new ground, I was walking a small ridge, then down into a marshy ravine. At the head of the ravine, in the middle of the forest I found a pile of stacked rocks, I walked around to the other side of the pile and it turns out the rocks were piled over top of what looked like a metal igloo that came to about waist height.
    A metal igloo, now that sounds interesting. Did you take any pictures by chance?

I found a full bottle of pumpkin beer hanging in a tree, and a barb wire fence going downhill on a 45 degree slope, no idea why they would have fenced it as it was too steep for livestock to range in.

This was a neat one. Found this old leg hold mossed into the ground while butchering a caribou. The trap still had (has) 2 marten toe bones in it. Only think I can think of, some time back in the day, someone was trapping below timberline, caught a marten, and possibly got drug up the mountain by a wolverine perhaps?

Similar thread from few years back

Bush Treasures:
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Bush-Treasures

Sat down on a log north of Peter Hope lake to glass over a cut block and found 2 pieces of smoked salmon on the log.
    Was hunting last fall at Hihium Lake and stopped for lunch at the rec site there and found a case of home made wine with 8 sealed full bottles and 3 broken ones.

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    ‘Get the wife to suck the poison out
    Lol I would a asked if she was there..

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    This was a neat one. Found this old leg hold mossed into the ground while butchering a caribou. The trap still had (has) 2 marten toe bones in it. Only think I can think of, some time back in the day, someone was trapping below timberline, caught a marten, and possibly got drug up the mountain by a wolverine perhaps?

Very nice caribou decker and nice you were able to keep the velvet on it.
    Very cool find as well, hard to tell by picture but looks like may be large for just marten,
    maybe could have been set in the pass for intended for some thing larger such as wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Re: Chilcotin (God’s country) summer trip photos!

About a mile W of Canoe Creek- This landform always puzzles me –made by nature or“otherwise???
    http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...8/DSCN0451.jpg

It looks to me like mine tailings. Any mining history in the area?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I noticed a few guys mention fossils in the backcountry. I’ve noticed I find them the closest to the steep parts of the mountain, if that makes sense. Especially in the sides of fresh cut creeks that run off of rock faces. Or up in the really high bowls.

Just an assumption here, but I’m guessing as the mountains were pushed up all of the fine stuff in the lower hills has been churned up so much that it’s hard to find them. If you can find a Boulder that’s fallen off of the mountain is the best odds.

Does everybody else use the same tactics? Or have some other pointers? I spend quite a bit of time flipping over rocks in the alpine. I’ll see if I can find a few pics