Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Whats the strangest thing youve found or seen in the back country?

Re: Whats the strangest thing youve found or seen in the back country?

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I have close to 20,000 hours in snow cats (started running Thiokols and LMCs 34 years ago) and I’ve never heard a sound like that come off a cat blade. Where do you run cats? Must be some crazy ass snow conditions!
    Snowcats? Bit different than a grader.

and that there is why I like spiders...heheh

So much stuff. Steam donkeys on the central coast, an old paddle wheeler in a lake in the central coast, 100 year old cabins build by Norwegian utopiasts in Drainey inlet, fallen totem poles, old leg hold traps, old trappers cabins literally in the middle of nowhere (Tweedsmuir Park). Crummies hurried in the bush on Vanc. Isl. Lots of old logging railways. So much stuff left out there. Some of it disappears real fast and other stuff lasts an eternity.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Not so strange except that it was still there.

On Easter weekend 1970, in the last standing building of the WWII RADAR station at Cape Scott, in a tiny rat-ridden little cabin, under a bed spring I found a Lee Enfield No.5 Mk 1 Jungle Carbine.

I supose some backwoods survivalist or temporary bush dweller left it in case a shipwrecked or hungry fisherman needed it. I left it where it was.

not that strange but...on my moose trip near horsefly last week I tracked for about 1 km or so to catch up to a pony...

the lady that owned it was looking for it up by a road to a local lake the evening before when we were doing a little exploring in the area.. she said her recently aquired pony "poe" had run off and might be in the area...2 of our group decided to hunt close to camp.and 2 of us would go back to the area the next morning as we had gotten a bit of snow...I had walked about 1km when I could.see some tracks on the road ahead......also, at first glance, what appeared to be beds....I am not sure how far I would have followed those tracks before noticing a track without snow falling into it showing a round toe if I didn't already known a pony was in the area..heheh..

.I quickly noticed that what looked like beds were actually where the pony was digging at the snow to get to the grass...so I decided to see if I could find poe...after I caught up.to him I talked nicely but he wouldn't let me.get to within 50 feet...(apparently he was a bit spirited...heheheh)...so I turned back and got to the truck...then I drove up the other fork in the road where my buddy was walking and grabbed him...we went to the ladies place (she told us the km marker her farm was when we saw her the previous night)..to let her know where her pony was....she thanked us and we left....

Quote Originally Posted by Cstmntnhntr View Post
    Noise was confirmed, it was a grader scraping the blade in a parking lot. Dense cloud cover and mountains assisted in making the noise.
    This is definitely NOT what that noise is. It was heard all over the world around that time. Exact same noise. Some weird stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vul4...=InsideEdition

Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    Snowcats? Bit different than a grader.
    Obviously. Maybe read the post I quoted where the guy said graders sounded like snowcats????
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Obviously. Maybe read the post I quoted where the guy said graders sounded like snowcats????
    Smoke another and re read what you posted.

Found some old machinery that wasn't so strange the other day. What was strange was the assortment of sporting goods someone had left on top of it...

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    There have been many...

An Inuit (Inuvialuit actually) Buddy and I were exploring the Richardson Mountains North & West of Aklavik, NWT.
    We wandered into a basin that was quite large, with a raised hump near the center of it which divided the stream running the valley length.
    We parked our snow machines, and went up on the hump to have a boo,
    I quickly saw signs of a very old camp, including remnants of a log structure and a few old tins.

My Partner had wandered to the side of the bluff that was a natural overlook of the valley both above & below.
    Hey! He yelled, Come up here man...
    When I got there he pointed to an ancient rifle leaning against a tree, right where a fellow might have sat to gaze across the surrounding vistas.
    My Partner was (is) rather superstitious, so asked me to pick it up and have a boo. The metal was somewhat rusted, the stock dried right out and weathered, but still largely there. It was a Winchester Model 1873.

After I had handled it my Partner suggested it potential Bad JuuJuu was gone, so I handed it over to him.
    He had it restored, and it still hangs over the fireplace at his home in the bush outside of Akalavik by 40 miles or so.

Always wondered just what the hell would make a man wander off from his rifle in that kind of setting...

Cheers,
    Nog
    Unreal find! Strange that someone would leave a rifle behind!!