Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the strangest thing youve found or seen in the back country?

Whats the strangest thing youve found or seen in the back country?

About 25 years ago packing in with my horses between Fern lake and Chesterfield lake I came across a old pannier made of wood and covered in hide. It was full of barn door hinges wrapped in some sort of wax and paper. They were barn hinges from the late 30's or 40's from what i could tell. but in great condition. I took a few as a token. Strange finding them in the middle of nowhere.

On another trip albeit not so strange i crossed a valley that was completely full of fossils. awesome time spending the day checking it out.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Whats the strangest thing youve found or seen in the back country?

Yup, while 6,000 feet up chasing Stones in the northern Rockies, sitting at my classing spot, several sea snail like fossils in the rocks. Very cool.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Two teens ****ing in a willow patch .
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

A very nice carved nude in a aspen patch In the South Chilcotin mnts near an old cow camp.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

A big outcropping of pea-cock rock while hiking near Castlgar. I took home 10lbs and have given away 9.5 of it (2005).
    A truck box with a canopy in the middle of nowhere while hiking north east of Quesnel along the cottonwood river. It was full of stuff and yellow jackets. No trail in to it and the trees around it were 15 years old. I suspect gold miners.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Years ago I was guiding a sheep hunter and we had climbed up to a ridge line, planning to work our way along it and get above some rams. We were out in the middle of nowhere in the north country. As we cautiously moved along the ridge what to our wondering eyes did appear, but a large diesel engine in a crate strapped to a pallet and wrapped with heavy plastic. It had obviously been there for some time. From the markings on the crate it was a new engine that was needed for a piece of equipment somewhere. The only way it could have gotten where we found it was if a chopper had dropped it there for some reason and then no one ever came back to get it.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

hmmm so many...
    one was on a moose hunt was walking through some thick stuff and there was a car driven straight forward stopping at a tree..obviously been there for years..grabbed some insurance papers..took them to police...got to go show them where it was..off a skidder trail off Spoken lake rd.
    found several more from various helicopter medivac flights..so surprising ALL but 1 were STOLEN FROM Williams lake..the one that wasnt stolen from WILLIAMS Lake was stolen from QUESNEL..HOWEVER ALL 100% were left on the hills above the reserves on highway 20.
    found a boat early one morning floating on a lake..no body on board..their bodies were recovered next day..both had stood to pee fell overboard..both gents zippers were undone.
    walking through REALLY thick thick spruce..think black spruce sat to rest on a log thinking im the only person to ever sit down here..looked next to me..3 square cut hand made nails and a brass type alarm clock..seen a similar modern one at BARKERVILLE store...rifle on high mountain ridge..wood was toast..rifle rusted..someone left it there..so did i.

years ago CLAYTON MACK was involved with hiding several wooden trunks..holding sacred items..ie carved masks..blankets..carved sheep horn ceremonial spoons...old ceremonial things..
    we were chatting and for some reason he told me exactly where they were hid..never did look for them...always wondered.....
    srupp

One day while Quading up on the top of Windy Mountain (just North of Bridge Lake) We came across a Big natural Rock pile (about 10 ft in dia ) Covered in LADY BUGS - There was thousands +++ of them ! Very Colorfull crawling all over the greystone rocks ! That's the most Strangest i have come across ! Any one Else ever seen these - this ? RJ

Came across what appeared to be a very large piece of flat stone the looked to be more like concrete(might be) stamped with an image/ message.
    There's a circle with 3 small points, 1 larger one, below what appears to be a UFO, below that 1987, with 3 straight lines under that and at the bottom the phrase I TRUST IN GOD; off to the right is 3 parallel lines with crossed like the letter H, the outside 2 lines are curved out at the ends; further to the right is a circle with cogs on the outside like a gear and in the centre a symbol like a Christian cross of sorts.
    Last edited by igojuone; 03-26-2022 at 08:37 AM.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Was hunting Blacktails on the top of Buffalo Hump.
    Sitting on a moss covered outcrop . . . the moss beside me had a faint rectangular shape.
    Cut through about 4" of moss to find an ancient sardine can with an equally ancient pocket watch inside.
    Took a real 'cranker' buck later in the day.