Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Time Grouse

Spring Time Grouse

My pointer is coming to an age where I want to expose him more regularly to grouse (and pheasants but that's a different story). I am in Coquitlam, and usually drive up the Coq and Eastgate or further east for grouse hunting purposes, but just for "taking walks with the dog" that's a bit of a stretch....

Does anyone have any recommendations for places closer to the LML?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Time Grouse

I am faced with the same challenge. Also in Coquitlam. There are no grouse within a casual drive of the lml. We train with pigeons on a couple of Pitt Meadows fields.

Spring is a sensitive time for grouse. The chicks are easy for dogs to catch and kill. Not good for the dogs development (or the chicks) We try and steer clear of grouse till fall.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

sweet. no grouse that you know of.

From page 17 of the bc hunting reg's...

"Any person may train dogs by allowing them, under supervision, to pursue game birds from Aug 1-Apr 30."

Elch Jager (do I sense a fellow German behind that handle?) - While I appreciate (and agree with) the sentiment behind the reply, to my knowledge Grouse hatch around June, so I am not too concerned about going out within the timeframe allowed by the regs (I would certainly hope the regs take these things into account

That said... I assume this means burning fuel for me then... I have been training on pidgeons as well, but with the melting snow I am hoping to spend some time in the woods and combine some fun time for me with some training for the dog...

I have seen few grouse up BURNABY mountain in the last 6 months right on the roads surrounding SFU.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Elch Jager (do I sense a fellow German behind that handle?) - While I appreciate (and agree with) the sentiment behind the reply, to my knowledge Grouse hatch around June, so I am not too concerned about going out within the timeframe allowed by the regs (I would certainly hope the regs take these things into account

That said... I assume this means burning fuel for me then... I have been training on pidgeons as well, but with the melting snow I am hoping to spend some time in the woods and combine some fun time for me with some training for the dog...
    German heritage, but limited vocabulary... we regularly see chicks last week of May while bear hunting. The hens sit on the eggs for 3 weeks before that. The birds are mature enough to escape by Aug. They can fly by 6 weeks of age.

I have seen grouse closer to town, but not regularly and certainly not enough of them to go spend a day hoping to find them. Biggest issue is people - too many hikers and bikers around to work the dog on them.

Lots of Thrushes, Wrens, Robins, Ducks, Geese, Crows etc. to work on holding their point and bird management every day. The dog gets used to being told to leave it when you heel them away. They learn to ignore the birds you tell them to leave alone.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

iv seen some on Chilliwack lake fsr

Can't help with the LML (moved away from there in '91) but I had my 2 labs out today in 3-27 for the 3rd time in last 10 days and they have flushed several each time. They are flushers and retrievers, not pointers. Was good to see so many ruffies around, should be a good fall season as long as the spring is not unusually wet during the critical hatch period.

Arent you supposed to hunt grouse only in fall? I dont see spring as allowed in the regulations