Thread: Experiences with Wall Tent with Diesel Heater and no Wood Stove?

Experiences with Wall Tent with Diesel Heater and no Wood Stove?

Hi there. I just got a 14x16 wall tent and am thinking to just run a Trekker or expedition heater without a wood stove. Curious to know people's thoughts on it, if you have experience with both.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Experiences with Wall Tent with Diesel Heater and no Wood Stove?

My uncle has an expedition I believe. He has had it for years. Works well to heat his wall tent which is a bit bigger than yours. Can be hard to start at times but once she's running its easy to set and forget all night. They are a bit greasy to use so bring paper towel and gloves.

I just started using a wood stove in my tent. I prefer the natural smell and don't mind getting up to stoke it but the set and forget feature of the diesel stove is nice.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Thanks for your response!

I’ve been pondering the same thing. The small diesel heater is 16 pounds and that’s the only one I’d consider, but I don’t think it’ll be big enough to warm up my 15 foot teepee in -20.

I don’t particularly like wood stoves. They’re big, heavy and don’t burn all night. Wood is ok for taking the chill off before bed and when you wake up, but I’d rather have a warmer sleeping bag than be really hot and then really cold.

I went with the Nuway propane heater. I’m using it in the stone glacier sky dome and my 16 ft cargo trailer.
    it’s great and goes a long ways on a tank.
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member