Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who’s getting mountain ready?

Re: Who’s getting mountain ready?

I'm starting my daily hikes with 25 pounds on my back and will up the weight gradually till my august sheep hunt. 3 weeks of sheep hunting for me this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Please share away. That’s one of the reasons I started this thread. Encourage each other to get out and get it done as well as share the workouts that work for you so I can try them too.

I ride mountain bike quite a bit too. Last year I really started mixing it up with the indoor running for an hour or so and hopping on the bike for another hour. Two hours running on concrete is hard on the joints.
    My favorite workouts:

Squats and shoulder presses, I go about 115 lbs, sets of 20-25 squats, then take a quick breather with the weight still on my shoulders then pump out 10-12 reps of shoulder presses, Usually do around 160 ish squats and just over 90 shoulder presses with that weight, after air squat/push ups for warm up..

Push-ups and jump squat workout: 10-12 jump squats per set, followed shortly after each set of jump squats with 25-30 push ups..totalling 90-100 jump squats and 240-250 pushups...

Chin ups and jump squats: sets of these, I try to attain about 100 of each in a workout...

Weighted berpeez: once you've gained enough stamina and strength with regular burpees, try them with weights in each hand...for me, I like the lighter weight more reps so I'll do 100-110 usually with 20 lb dumbells in each hand, then finish with 40 or so with 30 each hand...this volume broken into sets..

Triple exercise in each set: I'll combine jump squats, followed shortly by bench press, followed by bent over rows, in a combo set, really gets the blood moving, totalling 80-90 jump squats, 175-180 shoulder presses, about 120 bent over rows. For me, I use the same lower weight bar that I have setup for the squats, 115 lbs. My theory is the lower weight, high reps preps you better for mountain hiking and hunting..

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    I'm starting my daily hikes with 25 pounds on my back and will up the weight gradually till my august sheep hunt. 3 weeks of sheep hunting for me this year.
    Wow 3 weeks is a grind, you're a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Exercise definitely helps but what one eats & when he/she eats is most important in losing fat & keeping trim.
    I would highly recommend a healthy Ketogenic Diet for good as it quickly gets rid of excess & visceral fat & keeps it off!
    Personally I've almost totally avoided processed sugar in any form & simple carbs . . .
    Diet is how you lose weight. Dump the carbs/sugar and if you can . . . two meals per day.
    Rather than run . . . . a brisk walk will do, and it's easier on your bones. Leash and dog . . . . away you go.
    Keto is the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I’m pretty nomadic. I usually never sleep in the same spot twice and doing so I usually start burning out after six days or so. Lol. This year I’m planning on staying in one spot and doing day trips without packing all my gear around.

Second vote for mtn tough. Started the 30-30 body weight program last year and it’s amazing if you stick to it. Had some setbacks with some injuries along the way (unrelated to working out) but it’s been a very good program.

I would substitute the friday ruck with a run and then hike on the weekends. Always hike with my hunting pack and some extra weight so when the season comes it’s normal.

I hate going to the gym and prefer fitness by doing activities. The mtn tough at home program was a good fit

Try Atomic Athlete on youtube.
    Just a conspiracy bro!

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    Second vote for mtn tough. Started the 30-30 body weight program last year and it’s amazing if you stick to it. Had some setbacks with some injuries along the way (unrelated to working out) but it’s been a very good program.

I would substitute the friday ruck with a run and then hike on the weekends. Always hike with my hunting pack and some extra weight so when the season comes it’s normal.

I hate going to the gym and prefer fitness by doing activities. The mtn tough at home program was a good fit
    One of the other issues I have is shift work. I leave for work at 6:20 and get home at 8:20 for 3 days and then 3 nights of the opposite. A lot of the Monday to Friday routines are impossible so I try and do a 12 day rotation as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Hi Thanks for the response. Ive been hunting sheep for 50 years with my pack horses, plane or hiking. down to my last few years of hunting stones. ive spent more time and less than 3 weeks in the mountains. Always had a passion for sheep hunting. Usually come out at least 15 lol lighter lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I leave for work at 6:20 and get home at 8:20 for 3 days and then 3 nights of the opposite.
    Thats a grim schedule. I hope you love what you do!? (And what do you do?)
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.