Thread: Optics for archery elk... Rangefinder only?

Optics for archery elk... Rangefinder only?

How many of you folks just use a rangefinder for archery elk?

I find I carry my agc pack with my binos but never really use them.

Was thinking I'd toss my windchecker on my belt, tags in the bag and skip the binos... Again, only for archery elk season.

I guess my questions could also be:
    who leaves binos at home during archery elk?
    Do you find yourself using your rangefinder at all for getting a closer look at something or is it strictly a rangefinder?

Thanks for sharing your experiences

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Optics for archery elk... Rangefinder only?

I'd almost rather leave the bow home rather than the binos and rangefinder, no matter what I'm archery hunting except for rabbits.

There's no way I'm going elk hunting without my binos
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I hunted last year from a tree stand for elk and figured I did not need my binos as I was only shooting 30 or so yards. I shot a bull at 30 yards and it ran about another 30 and tipped over behind a bush. I knew it only ran the 30 or so yards before I saw it go behind the bush but I did not know it laid down/ tipped over. I thought I could make out a body part but could not see well enough to confirm. The optics out of Leopold range finder plus using just one eye was not good enough. At that point I wish I would have had my 10x42 Zeiss around my neck. With the better optics I would have probably see the elk tip over or the part body through the bush. Or in the worst case if the elk walked straight away.

I will never go into the tree again with the binos. If I was on the ground hunting there would have been zero chance I left them at camp. Too many times lifting them up to see if that’s an antler and not a branch.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

makes sense guys. Thanks.