Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Axis and Blackbuck on Molokai- How to bring back meat ???

Hunting Axis and Blackbuck on Molokai- How to bring back meat ???

Hi,
    I have an opportunity to hunt on Molokai. I'm going to be taking my 13-year-old son with me, so that he has an opportunity to hunt as well. We are both pretty excited but I'm not sure if I can bring the meat back from a USA hunt to Canada.

They have feral axis deer and black buck.

The guide has told me that a 120 quart cooler would handle all of our meat.

He also mentioned that I should be able to find a shipping agent who knows how to bring meat back from the USA to Canada.

I don't even know where to start with that question… Has anyone here brought meat back from the USA to Canada?
    If so, who did you use please?

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Axis and Blackbuck on Molokai- How to bring back meat ???

Update… I talked to CBSA and they said yes it is perfectly legal to bring back hunted game meat.I need to show a cancelled license that matches up with what I have. So, if I have a hunting license from another jurisdiction that says I am allowed 1 deer and that license is cancelled.... then CBSA recognizes that I am allowed to bring 1 deer home.

Now my only problem is finding a "bonded LTL refrigerated carrier" that will help me transport it home. ....Anyone have intel on that???

Quote Originally Posted by floden View Post
    Update… I talked to CBSA and they said yes it is perfectly legal to bring back hunted game meat.I need to show a cancelled license that matches up with what I have. So, if I have a hunting license from another jurisdiction that says I am allowed 1 deer and that license is cancelled.... then CBSA recognizes that I am allowed to bring 1 deer home.

Now my only problem is finding a "bonded LTL refrigerated carrier" that will help me transport it home. ....Anyone have intel on that???
    Can you freeze it in Hawaii and then bring the frozen meat back as checked luggage in a Yeti cooler or similar?

You will also need to figure out what size of cooler will fit onto the (small) plane between Molokai and Maui/Oahu for your flight home to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    Can you freeze it in Hawaii and then bring the frozen meat back as checked luggage in a Yeti cooler or similar?

You will also need to figure out what size of cooler will fit onto the (small) plane between Molokai and Maui/Oahu for your flight home to Canada.
    This is all i would do keep the coolerbor coolers under 50lbs

Additional baggage weights generally apply after your carry on and two bags under 50lbs

How about styrofoam and cardboard fish boxes with frozen meat. Packed for 50lbs

Go to Walmart, buy the Rubbermaid totes. Pick the size that will hold 50# of meat. Get it cut, wrapped and then frozen in the Rubbermaid. Duct tape them well. Keep it frozen until you are enroute to the airport. Check them on as luggage. They will be fine for the flight home. We have had moose from Alberta flown to Texas, get lost for a day and still frozen when it showed up. Its the most economical and efficient way. You can fly your yeti, but a big yeti's weight costs you....just a suggestion. Write your license info on the outside to match your license.

Some good advice here. I’ve flown with coolers in and out of Central America. It’s no big deal. Remember that airline cargo holds are typically not heated, so that should help with the thaw rate if you go with a Rubbermaid. If you butcher and debone on the islands, you probably won’t get much more than 25lbs of meat per animal, as they are generally fairly small.

And above all, make sure to post up a trip report with photos after you get home!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I believe you are limited to twenty kilos of game meat when returning to Canada from the US, by land anyway. Exotics/feral may be different? I carry a copy of the CITIES regs concerning the species, printable from the CBSA website.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-sa...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

No weight limit listed for game animal carcass