Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triggers

Triggers

What are you guys using in your hunting rifles?

I have a jewel on my Remington clone that I’m super happy with, but I’m looking for something to go on a weatherby mark v. Weatherby promotes the triggertech trigger in their advertising, but it’s not the same trigger you’d buy if you were purchasing an aftermarket triggertech. They barely adjust down to 2.5 pounds(not quite actually) and I don’t find it breaks really clean and it feels like I’m pulling way harder than other 2.5 pound triggers.

Anyways it looks like there’s a timney or the aftermarket triggertech. I’m thinking the timney is probably the safe bet with the way I’m not happy with the triggertech my rifle came with.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Triggers

I have a Timney in my .338wm Weatherby Vanguard. It is very nice and crisp. Factory set at 2 lbs it’s a surprise when it goes off. I had to get some warranty work done to it and it was very smooth with no questions asked. It also has a three position safety that I like. I’m very happy with this trigger.
    I also have a Triggertech trigger on a Remington 700. This is a new gun to me and haven’t fired it yet. It also seems very crisp. It is set a little heavy for what I’m used to but the clean break when dry fired seems to not bother me. It has a straight shoe instead of a curved which is new to me. It seems okay but I’ll have to see what I think when I get it out to the range.
    Last edited by Greenthumbed; 03-07-2022 at 06:56 PM.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

You know, the triggertech on my weatherby backcountry doesnt feel quite as good as the ones on the christensens I have shot! I have adjusted 3 christensen and one weatherby triggertech down to 1LB, 12oz on all four, by my digital gauge. I do feel my weatherby triggertech is better than the timney I have on another weatherby though.

Ive installed 2 rifle basix(savage) and they both have broke really clean and light( adjuted even lighter than you'd want hunting)
    Proud member of the fringe minority!

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    You know, the triggertech on my weatherby backcountry doesnt feel quite as good as the ones on the christensens I have shot! I have adjusted 3 christensen and one weatherby triggertech down to 1LB, 12oz on all four, by my digital gauge. I do feel my weatherby triggertech is better than the timney I have on another weatherby though.
    The trigger tech that came on my christensen Traverse 300 prc is the trigger tech "Field" trigger with a lowest adjustable setting of 2.5lbs. Very disappointing, I replaced it with the "special" trigger tech and that will only adjust to 1.5 lbs or on a hard fast action cycle it will at times miss to set the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I wonder why your weatherby triggertech trigger adjusts lower than the rest?

I tried out a kimber and weatherby side by side both with a triggertech trigger. The weatherby was factory set and the kimber was lightened up quite a bit, but it was still the factory trigger. When I decided to go with the weatherby I kind of assumed I’d be able to make the weatherby trigger the same as the kimber, but no dice.

After thinking on this some more I don’t think I’m going to risk a triggertech and I’ll look for a timney. There is a few around, but the price is all over the place. The triggertech is heavy and it really doesn’t feel that great.

I was able to get all four triggertechs down to 1lb 12oz. Maybe my wheeler digital gauge doesnt read correctly? That done, the christensen triggers all seem "better" somehow than the one on my weatherby. Maybe its just the stock design changing the position of my trigger finger.

I have a Timney trigger in my 7-08 and it is nice and crisp. I only have factory triggers in my other rifles so not much to compare with but the Timney is far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    After thinking on this some more I don’t think I’m going to risk a triggertech and I’ll look for a timney. There is a few around, but the price is all over the place. The triggertech is heavy and it really doesn’t feel that great.
    I Chatted with a fellow on CGN who had a Factory Weatherby Trigger tech for sale - He said he couldn't get it below 3-3.5 lbs pull SO he bought a NEW Trigger Tech direct from them and with this one he can get 2 lbs - Much better ! He is Much Happier now ! I think the Factory Trigger Tech is made special for them ( weatherby ) at a higher poundage because of LIABILITIES ! jmo RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 03-08-2022 at 09:57 AM.