Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: help buying first rifle please.

Re: help buying first rifle please.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    the packages have terrible scopes and mounts, so they're not really as good of value as they seem, when you consider that the optics are worth almost nothing.

I would suggest a Remington 700 SPS, which they chamber in 308 in their hinged floorplate models. Top it with the Rifleman and you'll be much happier with the setup, and still be out the door for a lil over a grand with taxes. Better yet would to top it with a VXI for the extra $40, it gives you a bit better optics and the LR duplex reticle
    Nothing wrong with the scope, unless you plan on shooting something ridiculously long distance. The scope and mounts get the job done and are solid through the heaviest brush you can find. If you want to find a gun to kill something yo dont even need a scope I used open sights till I was 15 hunting with my dad. Expensive rifles and expensive scopes don't make the hunter, just makes it nicer to shoot. Depends on what kind of hunting you do though. If you like killing things from a hellava long way away then invest in a awesome scope when you can afford it. The gun is worth the 750 SS or 650 blued inmo without the package. Bieng said I think the scope works awesome for the value on the weatherby, also comes with a molded case, slling,sling swivel mounts and lock. Plus a factory shot target at 100 yards within 1 1/2 at 100 yards. Mine happens to be at .5. You don't need to spend a billion dollars to get set up for a first rifle, second hand is always an option though. You can get a good setup that way on the cheap. You can always upgrade later if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    the packages have terrible scopes and mounts, so they're not really as good of value as they seem, when you consider that the optics are worth almost nothing.

I would suggest a Remington 700 SPS, which they chamber in 308 in their hinged floorplate models. Top it with the Rifleman and you'll be much happier with the setup, and still be out the door for a lil over a grand with taxes. Better yet would to top it with a VXI for the extra $40, it gives you a bit better optics and the LR duplex reticle
    Todd said exaclty what I was going to say I second this.I have a 308 and use it on everything I love it.
    yep that's what I said

thanks alot everyone.I think that i will look into the Remington SPS or the vanguard.The savage could work out to.have any of you heard of wholesale sports?they seam to sell guns at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailgunslinger View Post
    Nothing wrong with the scope, unless you plan on shooting something ridiculously long distance
    distance has nothing to do with it really...try looking through one at dawn or dusk, when game is most active, or look through a cheap scope towards the sun as it rises or sets. Wait until the trophy of a lifetime is standing at last light in front of a bunch of spruce blowdown or is sneaking below you when the sun is rising in your face - then you'll be kicking yourself for trying to save a couple hundred bucks on a scope.

Also if your mounts are tougher and better made, your scope has a better chance of holding zero and shooting where you aim.

Who wants to have to second guess their equipment? I love hunting too much to go into the bush with stuff that will fail when I need it.

my .02$ take it or leave it
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

If $650 is firm then I agree 100 % with BC Sportsman. You will not get a good quality rifle and scope for those dollars and as stated a poor quality scope will produce poor quality shots. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

I have a Parker Hale available in 308....PM me if interested.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

650 is just for the rifle.not the scope to

Savage all the way i love it, hate remington actions.
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

i have never tried either.i haven't even shot a gun yet.passed my core and i am studying for the hunters test.what the difference between actions?

I do need to say that I have no personal interest in the following suggestion.

Check out our guns for sale section and read Winchester M70, .30-06, CRF, BOSS Black Shadow FS . I don't know the guy or his equipment and do bear in mind he is selling a 3006, not a 308. That makes it a slightly heavier gun, longer barrel.

Its $650, synthetic stock and includes a good quality scope for extra money. Sounds like a deal to consider if you are not set on a 308.
    Last edited by bc sportsman; 11-18-2007 at 08:17 PM.
    aka...THE MOOSE WHISPERER