Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lpvo

Lpvo

What are the pros and cons on a low power variable opptic on a bolt action hunting rifle?
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Lpvo

Really depends what low power you’re referring to 1-4 or 3-9 or 4-16

but reality is you should have your scope on lowest power available while hunting for bigger field of view and quick target acquisition especially if hunting in thick timber, in the end most animals are probably shot on 3x or 4x with quick off hand shots

Cons if you’re trying to shoot 5/6/700 yards or further well 1-4x is probably lacking X or at least for me it would be, this is why we have high quality variable scopes now a days so you have the best of both worlds in one package

I find it funny you asking this question you know the answer to or/as well have your mind made up already as I’m pretty sure you know what you want in a scope, as I’m surprised at times how often you support a fixed power scope as all one needs even to shoot out to 1000 yards, everyone sees differently, what works for you or me may not for the next guy, as Ive gotten older and my eyes changing I prefer more power at the range for sure, but again hardly matters for most hunting.

Myself I prefer a 3x or 4x as my lowest setting on a variable scope and a minimum of 14x at the high end or even better 16x simply so it’s great on low power while hunting and precise on higher power for shooting groups at the range and more useful for long range target shooting out to 1000 yards
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 02-27-2022 at 07:46 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    What are the pros and cons on a low power variable opptic on a bolt action hunting rifle?
    Don't Bother BRAD those varibles are way to much Hassle to ajust under hunting conditions - Stay with a ST 6 X and be done ! RJ

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Don't Bother BRAD those varibles are way to much Hassle to ajust under hunting conditions - Stay with a ST 6 X and be done ! RJ
    Actually do they even sell fixed 4X or 6X scopes anymore ?

Probably the same reason that transmissions in vehicles have more than 1 gear
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Nothing wrong with low power variable scope on a bolt. What you should be considering more is the type of area your hunting most of the time and what caliber. If your in heavy cover, dence bush, a 2.5 or a 3 power is great. Lots to consider when picking up the right scope. Don't be in a hurry.
    I have 2x7 Leupolds on a lot of my guns. Love them!
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

I haven’t really found any cons yet. I’ve trended towards lower powe variables to begin with 2-7 and 2.5-8 being in most of my hunting rifles.. I added a couple 1.5-8s over the last couple of years and really like them. I guess a purist might say a true LPVO starts at 1, but 1.5 was the closest I could get with the features I was after.

If I recall from when I was doing the research, the things to look out for are distortion at lowest power and tunneling when you go to max. I think a lot of the LPVOs are fairly heavy by hunting rifle standards.

At 1.5 I really like the speed and ease of target acquisition, especially at close range. Nothing is fuzzy to my older eyes, ie: front or rear sight. I don’t feel too handicapped at 7 or 8x on the top end. Dropped my bull this year at 450ish. Just needed a little time and a good solid rest. I seem to be hunting timber more and more as a lot of the slides where I’ve hunted in the past are now getting thick with alders and buck brush. I really appreciate the lower power in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Exactly Jim, my 35 Rem. Marlin got a Weaver Classic K4.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

A LPVO with a illuminated red dot is a great option for rifles that you expect closer range shots but want the ability to stretch it out a bit if opportunity arises. Ultimately, that's what a LPVO is supposed to do. Wide field of view and low power for short ranges plus the ability to crank it up in magnification to hit further targets. A 1-6 or 1-8 LPVO is probably ideal for most hunting situations as most game is shot at 200 yards or less.

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I love a 1.5x4; canoe hunting, trail hiking or if I don’t have to count points. But the 3x9 is most sold for a reason. 2x7 is a nice compromise, never over look a straight 6.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.