Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lpvo

Re: Lpvo

And given the craze for TLA's shouldn't they be called LPV Optics?
    just kidding

I like the lower variable for any work inside 100 yards and especially in the dawn/dusk times
    Swaro 2.5-10x40 is my most cherished since it saved a hunt in the dying hours of a dark day
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    I will have to call my local retailer.
    My local retailer came through with a Vortex 1x6 PST, thanks TB.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Probably a mute point now that you have a PST on the way but,…… Leupold is probably worth looking into. I was rearranging the safe yesterday and came across a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 I have mounted on an evil black rifle. I’d forgotten about the optic but it is very nice, 30 mm tube, good field of view, and an illuminated reticle. That got me to looking around, and Leupold has a number of offerings in the LPVO range. Pricing is reasonable, and dimensions and weight are both well suited to a hunting rig. Maybe worth a look. I think I’ll take the VX-R and change out the scout scope on my Ruger GSR and play with that for a bit, see which I like better.

1st rifle I bought for big game caught my eye at a local gun show. Well used vintage FN Mauser action 30-06 with an equally vintage Weaver KV scope on a swing away Pachmayr mount. The KV would have been the early days of variable magnification in scope technology, probably late 1950's early '60's. The finish on the stock was in bad shape so I stripped it down & hand rubbed the wood with 20+ coats of linseed oil. 2.75 to 5X magnification and I need to unscrew a cover to make the adjustment.... I have yet to down an ungulate with this beauty but wouldn't think of mounting a modern scope on 'er... . I've since acquired 2 newer rifles & put modern Leupolds on them, much better in low light conditions, but for the kind of shots I'm comfortable making, I think the old FN will be just fine.... After all, back in the day, iron sights was all most hunters had.

I added the flip up lens covers, only change made other than stripping down & cleaning up. My daughter enjoyed putting a few rounds downrange a few years ago. She did well for a lefty & 1st time ever shooter. Image capture from a video, hitting the arrow won't work haha.
    Last edited by mike31154; 03-09-2022 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    Probably a mute point now that you have a PST on the way but,…… Leupold is probably worth looking into. I was rearranging the safe yesterday and came across a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 I have mounted on an evil black rifle. I’d forgotten about the optic but it is very nice, 30 mm tube, good field of view, and an illuminated reticle. That got me to looking around, and Leupold has a number of offerings in the LPVO range. Pricing is reasonable, and dimensions and weight are both well suited to a hunting rig. Maybe worth a look. I think I’ll take the VX-R and change out the scout scope on my Ruger GSR and play with that for a bit, see which I like better.

I have the scope mounted on a Sako Finnlight.

Scope is 'weighty' but not bad at all.

I've used 6x setting on fixed and variables for a long time, so a top end of 6x is just fine.

So this scope will be used at 1x with dot illuminated or at 6x, nothing in between.

BTW I like the scope , functions well.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

I’m sure you’ll like it. My Vortex scopes all have served me well.