Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Encounters

Re: Grizzly Encounters

Some of you guys should join greenpeace.Next we will be eating Wolves, Coyotes,Beavers, and even rats that you trap in your compost pile. If its legal lets do it. If it upsets your personal ethics dont do it. More rules and divisions among ourselves is just what the antis want. Not all life is sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post
    Some of you guys should join greenpeace.Next we will be eating Wolves, Coyotes,Beavers, and even rats that you trap in your compost pile. If its legal lets do it. If it upsets your personal ethics dont do it. More rules and divisions among ourselves is just what the antis want. Not all life is sacred.
    I think us that think the meat should be taken, and not only the hide or skull does not make us Greenpeace supporters.
    I don't think any of us with that stance has ever stopped those that did want to hunt Grizz under the old rules and when it was
    open.
    I supported the hunt regardless of my personal views.
    And due to my personal views, I never did hunt them, but was fine with those that did.
    I just always felt that hunting them for hide/skull was purely a "trophy" approach, and something that is shunned by the non
    hunting community.
    Had we made attempts to remove the meat, and changed that aspect of the hunt, it might still be open?
    Going forward, any hunting deemed purely "trophy" will meet the same demise down the road.
    Sheep and Goat are probably the next ones the Anti community are looking at.
    The "Trophy" aspect is what gives them traction against us with the rest of the non hunting community.
    Argue it if you want, or even say they don't know what they are talking about, but I still promise you all, it is what they will
    use against us to make it happen.
    Some in the non hunting community may see coyote or wolf and potentially cougar hunts as a predator control.
    Most in the non hunting community don't see Grizz in the same category.

Again, we can bash each other over what is and what isn't.
    But everyone should look at it from a perspective of how it could be used against us.
    Trophy hunts just don't fly for those in the non hunting community any longer.
    You can keep the old ways, but you can also expect it to be continuously under attack.
    And we don't seem to be winning under the "old ways" any longer.

Just something for all to think about.
    Or, we can continue to point fingers between ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I've documented the grizzly population for a number of years in a couple of the areas we hunt.

Both locations are seeing an increase in the grizzly population. We left one zone as the population went from about 5 to 11. Way to much close action there. We've encountered many. Shots fired, but never to harm the bear. A slug into the dirt in front of their nose seems to be the sufficient deterrent. Have had grizz pass through my treestand locations. Got some great pics at 20 yards. Have had a number come in when calling elk. Some in as close as 15 - 20 yards. They always book out when we stand and make them aware we are not elk. I think Grizzly because of their size and power are often a misunderstood animal.... haha if they are not defending, young, food or territory, they are generally a timid animal.
    I just know that last 10 years or so now, we don't fall asleep by the tree after a long morning of calling
    You think mid day and in warm temps that most things have gone down to take a nap themselves.
    But that isn't necessarily true.
    Both Grizz and Cougar have walked right in at those times.
    Makes for an interesting day to say the least.
    But yes, I dont nap anymore.
    At least not there where calling/hunting.

2 years ago we got charged by a young boar sheep hunting. We pushed it out of one area when we were looking for sheep. On the way back, he was in a different area and he winded us. Soon as he winded us he started running towards us (from 400 yards away). All I remember thinking was "****, I do not want to deal with this right now". We were under-powered (6.5 CM + a bow and some hot sauce), but we also had the in-reach in hand and were in a good shooting position. Of course, all this happened very fast. At 200 yards we started yelling and he stopped on a dime and ran away. I think he was a bit desperate, young, and tired of being pushed around. Normally we only see 1-2 gbears in this area over 15 days. The year we got charged we had 3-4 gbears within 100-300 yards and a few going through our old camps. Seen 6-7 that trip. We even got to the highest peak in that area, which was snow covered, and found fresh g-bear shit up there. Last year, in a different area, we only seen one g-bear from far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post

The optics of killing a Grizzly bear and letting the meat rot does not bode well around the world if you think thats okay simply because it's legal you are missing the point and i would go further and say its not that ethical. AS i stated before Alaska is seeing the writing on the wall as there tourism is being impacted by the trophy hunt. If you shoot other species in Alaska you have to pack all the meat out and that means all the meat if not its a very hefty fine. If they do bring the Grizzly hunt back bring it back with the understanding you will have to pack the meat out. As to the antis they do have a position on trophy hunts when you only take the cape claws and skull. As well your statement that not all life is sacred perhaps not, but respected well I think that is a position I stand for and I actually support some positions for Greenpeace particularity to whale hunting .

We have seen a slow but steady increase in Grizz population where we hunt near MacKenzie BC. Most run , but the one between the outhouse and camp last year, stopped , watched us, heard our yelling and after a couple of long minites , decided he wanted a closer look. He was about 40 yards away. We hit the panic alarm on the truck, and fired into the air over him. He stopped , and turned then walked away. And I mean, walked. No hurry. Just walked. Not as many Black Bears there lately. Busy enough that we see other hunters every day. Also active logging from year to year.
    My thoughts on hunting them; I'm not interested myself, but not opposed to it. I think it would help to keep them more respectful of hunters and human presence. As for taking the meat, a bear on a salmon stream would pretty much not be edible , me thinks. Maybe one in a berry patch. As for a bear deep in the wilderness, the meat will be used as needed by other animals.
    jmho.
    B.
    Grandpa used to say, "ya know, when you point your finger at someone , three of your fingers are pointed back at you."

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    That was me that mentioned the trophy hunt. Its not well received around the world and is one of the reasons that contributed to its shut down. Its in the works for Alaska as the negative view of leaving the meat behind is affecting tourism. In the not to far future you will have to pack the bear meat out in Alaska. They see the the writing on the wall. I think if that were implemented here there may of been a different outcome, having said that Im still opposed to hunting an animal and leaving the meat behind then it's strictly a trophy hunt.
    I don't hunt grizzly bears, but the idea that taking the meat out would make any difference to an anti hunters point of view is a big mistake. They just use that as a tool against hunting, the same as giving animals names and whining that animals were here first so we are invading their homes and upsetting their families. It's twisted in my mind but some wing nuts eat it up.

Those that trophy hunt should start putting up pictures and videos of how those old mature animals die from natural causes, pics of a starving grizzly bears would tug at the heart strings of an anti....ask them if they think we should put the poor Pooh bear out of it's misery or let it die a long horrible death? Same thing with wolves and coyotes, put up some pics of deer with half their hind ends eaten away or nice close up videos of that deer the wolves are eating alive, make the anti hunters puke. Look at poor nancy the mule deer, look in her eyes while this pack of wolves eats her guts out.....hunters just need to use their tactics against them. Those trophy animals are near the end of their lives, hunters that target them are doing them a favour by preventing them from suffering a horrible death at the hands of mother nature.

hmmm I guess your suggesting that grizzly wolves and coyotes should become vegetarians or risked being killed if they don't.Bears wolves and coyotes are conivores all part of the animal kingdom. And Yes it would make a difference packing the meat out. Not everyone is against hunting but alot are against simply trophy hunting and not taking the meat . You need to be able to separate the view. Saying that hunters are doing them a favor???? Now thats ammunition for the antis

I agree with allot of what you are saying stoneramhunter. Had this discussion with many non hunters (but not anti hunters) and its a polarizing issue for them.

In regards to bear encounters, in the area I hunt 4-24,25,26, have most certainly seen an increase in G bear sign but luckily so far, have not seen an increase in agression.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    and I actually support some positions for Greenpeace particularity to whale hunting .
    I used to and I want to - but they're a bunch of weanies more interested in fame than anything else IMHO. All of the whales hunted are NOT endangered. And, they're eaten. So, I don't see any point in getting your panties (not you personally Stone - Greenpeacers) in a twist over it. I've eaten whale - it's good.