Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Encounters

Re: Grizzly Encounters

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Grizz around nicola lake between Kamloops and Merritt the past two years. Have laid eyes on four different animals, three I believe to be sows and one was a brute of a boar.

have to be careful hunting colour phase bears around that area !
    Shit. I'm in the same area! Closer to Kamloops though. I'd like to see one - at a distance. I've seen plenty in AK. No need to see one up close again.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Grizz around nicola lake between Kamloops and Merritt the past two years. Have laid eyes on four different animals, three I believe to be sows and one was a brute of a boar.

have to be careful hunting colour phase bears around that area !

I had convinced myself I didn’t see one in the Roche Lake-ish area. It was quick at last light. Starting to rethink now. Minimal bear sign at all in that area. Lots of cat sign though.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    YUP right after firing a WARNING shot to the Head ! RJ
    And I thought those Guys with Shovels where Gold Miners LOL !

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    And I thought those Guys with Shovels where Gold Miners LOL !

Cheers
    LOL ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    LOL ! RJ
    I'm good with the ban on Grizzly hunt since it was mostly trophy hunting and not having to take the meat out. Not a fan of people shooting Grizz simply because they are nearby. Ofcourse if youre being attacked there is no question but to protect yourself.

I can only say this about a close encounter with a Grizzly and I have said it many times on various threads . I hope I have the balls to not let me come unglued and remain calm in a face to face situation . I will give the bear all that I can for a successful outcome for it . BUT if it comes down to thinking I’m going to get mauled I don’t want to be that person . I have seen in the flesh a fella that was mauled by a Grizzly and he had healed up as best he could after the mauling . It was not a pretty sight the injuries he received !!
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I can only say this about a close encounter with a Grizzly and I have said it many times on various threads . I hope I have the balls to not let me come unglued and remain calm in a face to face situation . I will give the bear all that I can for a successful outcome for it . BUT if it comes down to thinking I’m going to get mauled I don’t want to be that person . I have seen in the flesh a fella that was mauled by a Grizzly and he had healed up as best he could after the mauling . It was not a pretty sight the injuries he received !!
    Arctic Lake
    Very well said! I only had one close encounter. Let's just say that can of bear spray felt a lot smaller in my hand with the pin out than it did on my hip before I saw the bear........

It was all about staying calm. And I can't guarantee the same result next time - but it worked out fine then.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Arctic Lake
    I never believed the term “scared stiff” until it happen to me, but instead 13 wolves (plus a dead alpha) lined up in front of me. Not sure if it was scared (I had 1 bullet left), or wtf, but I seriously couldn’t move. I remember thinking, shoot my last shot, but thinking was all I could do, I think. It only lasted 10-20 seconds probably, but felt like forever. Definitely long enough for any animal to have its way.

I have seen a few videos of Grizz on full rampage and being dropped only a foot or 2 from the hunter.
    Very easily could have been a full blown attack with a shot that didn’t do the job.
    Scared stiff can happen also.
    So, there are valid concerns mentioned for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Shake $#|t and skedaddle?
    I’m thinking more like “Shoot, shovel, and shut up”.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.