Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Encounters

Re: Grizzly Encounters

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post
    The reason you dont hear about more encounters is people practicing the 3 sss.
    Shake $#|t and skedaddle?
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Nord-east of Prince George it seems I see now 3 Grizzly's for every Moose, not good.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Was sheep hunting up the Gatho and didn't notice much of a change in the Grizzly population on the trip. Covered a lot of area between Gat and Tuchodi. Previous year in same area saw several Grizzly bears. Sheep spotting was good saw plenty of sheep. Not many elk or moose however temps were quite high.

What would you think was the age of that bear and it’s weight ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Had a few close calls, my dogs saved my arse twice now while sheep hunting, one defiantly would have ended bad.

This was the last one a couple years ago, which wasn’t so bad. Felt a little under gunned between my gf and I though, all we had was a 6.5 swede and a walking stick lol. 7pm, 100 yards from the tent, sleep was very light that night.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post
    The reason you dont hear about more encounters is people practicing the 3 sss.
    YUP right after firing a WARNING shot to the Head ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    What would you think was the age of that bear and it’s weight ?
    Arctic Lake
    I’m not really good at judging, but I’d guess in the 500 lb range? He looked like a full adult, but in the video when he turns to go, he does look a bit small and young maybe.

The encounter that my dog really came through on, was in the exact same spot 2 years prior. I wondered if it may be the same bear. He was a lot closer last time lol.

3-41 between Vavenby and Avola

Big old boar on the east side of the Thompson. Partner had to abandon the ATV and get in my truck. Bear would not leave, kept challenging the truck. Had to drive straight at him a couple times blaring the horn. Then he sat 20 yds. off the side, staring at us till we left. This was 800 yds. down the road from our camp. Dog had gotten very vocal a few times on previous nights. Went looking and found the tracks circling around camp about 40 yds. out.

Ran into the CO the next day. He was quite interested in that bears behaviour. Said it is his most frequent nuisance call these days - overly aggressive Grizzly encounters.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

Seeing a lot more Grizzlies and they are paying less and less attention to humans.
    Last edited by hawk-i; 02-28-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Saw a pig of a black bear in Squamish in 2020 while I was bow hunting for blacktail. Had its head down eating a spawned out chum 20 yards away. An icicle fell and scared it. It grabbed the fish ran back to about 40... which is when I realized it was 1) not a black bear, but a grizz and 2) it was much bigger than I had thought. No bear spray on me I sat and waited until it finished with the fish to move on. Thankfully it went back towards the river to grab another one. Stunned, being so close for the first time I watched while it splashed around chasing the barely alive fish in the side channel. It walked accross in the other direction towards where my brother was hunting and I made my escape to circle around and find him before the two of them bumped into eachother.

Haven't been back without my rifle since. Lots of sightings of both grizz and wolves in the squamish valley now.

I have certainly seen more Grizz since even before the ban.
    Since then, I feel have I see even more now on average.
    I spot them roaming and feeding much closer than years ago however.
    I have certainly seen their body size be larger now, or a couple anyways that are quite impressive now,
    especially since they had a slight head start because the local GO had used his tags for several seasons waiting for
    them to grow bigger but then screwed himself with the ban.
    Also, I have most definetly had several close encounters with Grizz coming to check out my calls.
    That never happened and they do seem less shy, imo.