Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Grizzly Encounters

Re: Grizzly Encounters

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Absolute BS.
    Depends on what you mean by other animals. I’ve found deer and elk that totally went unscavenged by anything larger than a raven. The insects and rodents will always find them and maybe the scavenger birds, but not necessarily the larger critters.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Depends on what you mean by other animals. I’ve found deer and elk that totally went unscavenged by anything larger than a raven. The insects and rodents will always find them and maybe the scavenger birds, but not necessarily the larger critters.
    Could depend on how they die, ive seen some that have died from sickness etc that others wont touch, and livestock that have been euthanized, sometimes nothing will touch it.

After hunting up the Tuchodi for over 45 years we have not noticed more grizzlies but after the hunting ban, they became less scared of humans. From 1973 until 2000 we had never lost an elk to the grizzlies and after that we started to notice that when they heard a shot, they would come to see what it was. the last 10 years we would lose at least one elk each year and a few years we have lost up to 3 elk in a year. Never had to shoot any but it came close a few times.

I watched a home video of a group hunting up by Redfern lake.
    They were shooting long distance at a Caribou in a large bowl on one side.
    Other side had a Grizz feeding.
    Once the bullets started flying, the Grizz took off running straight for the Caribou!
    They had to wait several days to retrieve antlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    I’ve found deer and elk that totally went unscavenged by anything larger than a raven. The insects and rodents will always find them and maybe the scavenger birds, but not necessarily the larger critters.
    That is an unusual/rare situation in my experience. In most situations carcasses will be cleaned up in a week or two by bears, large and small predator/scavengers, birds of prey and ravens.
    Last edited by tomcat; 12-05-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    That is an unusual/rare situation in my experience. In most situations carcasses will be cleaned up in a week or two by bears, large and small predator/scavengers, birds of prey and ravens.
    Yes, I agree with you. Most of the time something big finds it and the carcass get spread around and the cracked bones and teeth marks are good evidence of this.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Last month, my hunting partner had to dive in the chilling river hole to retrieve the black bear that I shot. Sorry for the seagulls, it is surely making more sense for human to use the meat.
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

wow that was a pretty awesome standoff

Another perspective from the US.... https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/gr...fit-for-dinner