Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your favourite hunting knife?

Re: What’s your favourite hunting knife?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I'd sure like the knives of alaska brown bear skinning knife. Large completely rounded end so little risk of accidently poking holes in hides. A bit pricey though, and I've already got more knifes than needed.

https://www.knivesofalaska.com/Store...wn-bear---stag
    I've got a similar one I used to use on the trapline. I can't remember what brand it is but it definitely makes you work faster without worrying about a pointed tip and having to call in the seamstress.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesonm View Post
    I've got a similar one I used to use on the trapline. I can't remember what brand it is but it definitely makes you work faster without worrying about a pointed tip and having to call in the seamstress.
    I once dropped off a bear cape at my taxidermist and on the receipt he wrote 'sword bear' because he said it looked like I tried caping it with a sword. Adverse conditions while skinning it though, pouring rain, freezing cold, etc.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I once dropped off a bear cape at my taxidermist and on the receipt he wrote 'sword bear' because he said it looked like I tried caping it with a sword. Adverse conditions while skinning it though, pouring rain, freezing cold, etc.
    Yaya. You mean 17 beer deep adverse conditions!

I went the custom route after years of random knives. I’m pretty amazed at how well they hold their edges. I also got lucky and won a Stevenson knife through the wssbc last summer, hope to get to pick it up some day soon.

I have a north arm knife made here in bc had them do a custom engraving on it. In the past I have been using a havalon but they can be dangerous

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

About twenty years ago I was wandering through K-Mart and saw a box of knives, Muela PIK-AS-R, for $20 I thought why not, worked rather well for many years until I dropped it on top of a pile of logs and plinko’d down through the pile, gone forever.
    Went back to the K-Mart just before they closed their doors, and luckily they still had Muela knives but not the same one, picked up a 25-12 that time, still have it, works very well.
    Last year I was presented with another Muela knife from a friend, a brand new PIK-AS-R.

I think there are a ton of great options for knives these days. These days my go to hunting knife is a Knives of Alaska, Elk Hunter. Had it about 15 years now. D2 steel, you can gut and skin a moose without touching the blade. I like the blade shape and size for hunting.

I also use an Edge Pro sharpening device that keeps it very sharp.

KERR custom. He was from Lethbridge years ago.
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesonm View Post
    Yaya. You mean 17 beer deep adverse conditions!
    Lol, it was honestly just bad weather and on a bit of a hill so it kept sliding down the plastic ground sheeting in the rain. My son was still quite young, so we had zero chance of lifting it up onto the tailgate. Butcher wasn't too pleased with me. Lots of dirt and grit on the carcass. Total gong show. I've since bought a receiver mounted hoist for skinning and loading.
    Last edited by IslandWanderer; 02-27-2022 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wlbc View Post
    I think there are a ton of great options for knives these days. These days my go to hunting knife is a Knives of Alaska, Elk Hunter. Had it about 15 years now. D2 steel, you can gut and skin a moose without touching the blade. I like the blade shape and size for hunting.

I also use an Edge Pro sharpening device that keeps it very sharp.
    I've been looking at various knives of alaska with the D2 steel. I've got one of those water bath sharpeners, so no problem putting an edge back on it. Would I need to wipe it down with some type of oil between uses?