Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What’s your favourite hunting knife?

Re: What’s your favourite hunting knife?

I carry a Swamp Rat Hairy Carry LE, tough knife that sharpens well and keeps and edge. Been my belt hunting knife since 2003 I think. I always have an exacto in my pack, easy peasy way to always have a sharp blade.

Buck vanguard, black rubberized handle. Love it.

I really like my Buck Vanguard 192 knife. It performs very well for hunting. I like it because of its timeless design & build quality.
    Last edited by JeremyCMasters; 04-08-2022 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    $8 exacto knife is my go to. Been using one for about 20 years
    Have a havalon too but can't beat the exacto for gutting, skinning, lightweight - gets dull and you snap a section off and keep going.
    cut rope, tarps, tags - you name it.
    lose it - who cares, it was $8
    The fancy hunting knife is for cutting sausage.
    Beware these blades brake off and come full circle right between your thumb and fore finger . There is a main artery that runs there and you could easily bleed out .I am speaking from experience.Don't use EXACTOS FOR GENERAL use .I was told by the doctor while being stitched up that according to worksafe these knifes cause a lot of injury .

I like my Havalon Piranta with the tougher 60A blades. Easily break down a full sheep or deer with one blade.

I still have a 110 Buck skinner with a Kraton handle that I love, along with a custom Grohmann D.H Russell that is great.

Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    Beware these blades brake off and come full circle right between your thumb and fore finger . There is a main artery that runs there and you could easily bleed out .I am speaking from experience.Don't use EXACTOS FOR GENERAL use .I was told by the doctor while being stitched up that according to worksafe these knifes cause a lot of injury .
    I don't doubt there's inherent hazards to the Exacto type knives due to blade breakage, but the Havalon/Barracuta would carry similar risk. The beauty of scalpel type sharpness is precise surgical cuts with little effort applied. If your going to run them like a dull fixed blade, then you're just asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I've got lots, but my favorite it the Spyderco Rescue assist. Can be used with gloves, pressure actuated window breaker, whistle, cobra head for thumb, partially serated, orange, FRN handle, no point on the blade, made in Seki City Japan.

Any knife made in Seki City is good.
    I have some great kitchen knives from there.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I have a few, I like them all.
    I'm not a fan of folding knives.

WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Any knife made in Seki City is good.
    I have some great kitchen knives from there.
    Definitely. I like my Seki City Spyderco Rescue Assist.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    Grohmann 100 Large Skinner in carbon steel (they are on sale right now!)
    Thanks for the tip. I ordered one during the sale for my son's birthday. Grohmann 100, stainless with the resin wood since we're usually hunting in pouring rain, sheath with the pocket and steel. Had them engrave his name on one side of the blade, and his upcoming birthday date on the other. It arrive a couple weeks ago and it's perfect.

Easter sale is on now. I might order myself an Ulu.
    When in doubt, just pin it.