Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your favourite hunting knife?

Re: What’s your favourite hunting knife?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I've been looking at various knives of alaska with the D2 steel. I've got one of those water bath sharpeners, so no problem putting an edge back on it. Would I need to wipe it down with some type of oil between uses?
    I have and sometimes I've forgotten to and it hasn't made much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    Grohmann 100 Large Skinner in carbon steel (they are on sale right now!)
    These look awesome. My son is getting to the age where he could start doing some of this skinning work with me. Does it handle pretty well? I see Grohmann makes a few different skinning knives.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    These look awesome. My son is getting to the age where he could start doing some of this skinning work with me. Does it handle pretty well? I see Grohmann makes a few different skinning knives.
    They are awesome! I have gone through many knives before finding this model. I find it has a perfect weight and balance for me! I was up in QC last fall and got the chance to work on multiple deer every day. I loaned it to my hunting partner and he was so impressed he got the same model for Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I’ve never been big on spending a lot on knives, I use two knives, a Victorinox serrated blade knife for general purpose and they are cheap, sharp and disposable, the other knife is a replaceable blade outdoor edge knife, these two have served me well for years.

In 2020 salmonbelly fixed me up with a North Arm custom folding knife “Skaha II” and wow what a hunting knife, lightweight, compact and holds an edge, I highly recommend this knife, as well they are a BC company.

I have these

I have the Skaha II as well.....beautiful knife. However all of my caping and field dressing is done with a Havalon.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by boonerbucks View Post
    What’s your favourite hunting knife? (Size,shape,style,brand/model etc) if you were designing the perfect knife what would it be?
    Been using Buck 110 Folding Knifes for about 40 years Guiding. Very good quality, I can take a Moose apart with it or skin Bear Paws down to the last knuckle. Quick to resharpen with a Dimond Sharpener and I don't end up with a Knife in my Ribs if getting bucked of my Horse. I should mention they are fairly inexpensive too.

Over the years I had many nice Knifes given to me, I love them all especially the Puma's but they do better in my Knife collection, there Steel wears down to fast.

Cheers

i

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Using the same 3.5” Mora for the last 35+ years.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Havalon is the only knife I run. Weighs nothing, sharp enough to cut through bison hide and I can gutless method a whole elk with one blade.

Cant see spending a ridiculous amount of money on a knife that you are going to use for field dressing . Very easy to loose when preforming the task at hand . Victorinox , Mora, Buck . But if money is no object ……
    .Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    Been using Buck 110 Folding Knifes for about 40 years Guiding. Very good quality, I can take a Moose apart with it or skin Bear Paws down to the last knuckle. Quick to resharpen with a Dimond Sharpener and I don't end up with a Knife in my Ribs if getting bucked of my Horse. I should mention they are fairly inexpensive too.

Over the years I had many nice Knifes given to me, I love them all especially the Puma's but they do better in my Knife collection, there Steel wears down to fast.

Cheers

i
    Love my buck 110 aswell. Probably one of the most popular hunting knives. Almost every hunter I know owns one.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I use a Havalon Hydra for skinning and gutting. It has the surgical blade on one end and the other you can attach a bone saw, filet blade or regular clip point knife blade. I also carry a North Arms Lynx which is an awesome fixed blade.