Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The 2022 Turkey Thread!

Re: The 2022 Turkey Thread!

My first bird. Younger bird, but I am super happy. 2.5 days to get my poop in a group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0366595B-0674-4025-AAEA-7CA19F69B994.jpg  

Congrats on the bird! What region were you hunting? Did you call him in?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Allseasons View Post

My first bird. Younger bird, but I am super happy. 2.5 days to get my poop in a group.
    right on! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Congrats on the bird! What region were you hunting? Did you call him in?
    Started in 4-22, after countless miles walked/travelled, moved to 4-7. At first light we were surrounded by birds, lots of calling but couldn’t pull Tom’s from hens, bush went silent around 945am. Backed out, re-tuned pot calls, ate a sandwich, went back in. When the hillside fired up again, we were short on calling back, string together 2 or 3 clucks and purrs, then waited over 15 mins to make a sound, let out 3 clucks and a gobbler lit up. A 2 quick squawks lol, and hen and Tom ran straight to us from 100 yards out to 19 yards and I let drive.
    same scenario in the same exact spot an hour later, we called in a gang of 4 jakes. Took the biggest one out of the group, cleaned birds up and home by 11pm. Was pretty cool. There was bigger Tom’s we caught glimpses of, but they weren’t leaving the hens.
    Last edited by Allseasons; 04-21-2022 at 12:05 PM.

That’s cool! It’s definitely hard to lure toms away from hens. The birds in hand so to speak…. 4-22 to 4-7 is a haul! We are going to check out a spot in 8-15 tomorrow, where my neighbor says he saw a bunch of birds, and if that doesn’t produce, we’ll head back over to my “spot” in 4-8. With gas prices and driving a 3/4 ton gasser, I’ll hope to connect close to home

Congrats on the turkey! I wonder if they will ever migrate west to visit us here?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

They are in the Okanagan now. Maybe some will hitch a ride over the pass and work their way towards the Fraser. You could just whip over the Duffy and visit them in Lytton. Pre-smoked turkey…. Mmmmmm.

Too soon for Lytton smoke jokes? I think we’re good by now.

Well, we saw birds, including a cranker of a tom with a beard dragging on the ground, but alas, he must have had the iHunted app that tells all the wildlife when they are on private land! The only birds we found on public lands were hens. We “chased” the one tom after hiking a LONG way around the private property, calling and being answered regularly, but never saw him again. All in all, not a bad trip. Saw tons of elk, whitey, mules and the biggest ruffed grouse I’ve ever laid eyes on. He was half way to being a turkey! We sat and watched him hoot on a grassy knoll for about 20 mins. There were lots of other grouse out as well. Looks like it might be a great season again…

Anyone else been out?

I heard gobbling from my new front porch the other morning. Going to have one more kick at the can this coming weekend. Taking my wife’s best friends son out. I got him into his first duck and goose this past fall, so hopefully we will get him on a Tom or Jake too!

Did the annual trip with my OG crew, we went 4 for 4. Then I took a friend out for his first turkey hunt - only had 2 days, we had a bunch of action but stubborn birds and situational challenges proved to be too much and the birds took that round.
    Twist and pull.