Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2022 Turkey Thread!

Re: The 2022 Turkey Thread!

Thanks a lot! i got a leafy suit, so i think i'll be okay camo-wise haha.

I don't really subscribe to the idea that you can over call with turkeys. We've been killing multiple mature birds every year for a long time. If a tom is henned up, you need to get aggressive so you can either pull him away from that group or agitate the lead hen to the point she wants to come investigate. Hens have a hierarchy as well and they don't appreciate random ladies on their turf. We've watched mature toms (not jakes) strutting around with hens for hours with us calling back and forth until we either split one of the toms off from the group or have a hen come running over. Lots of times it has lead to the entire flock heading our way.

Most hunters don't realize that it's the hens that go to the toms, not the other way around.

A pretty successful tactic that we've used over the years is this:
    We keep it pretty low intensity for the evenings as birds are heading to their roost trees. The goal is to locate birds for the next morning and figure out where they're likely to fly down and start strutting. No point spooking them and having them fly down the mountain as they'll glide considerable distances. Hike in early in the dark without headlamps and get our decoys set up. Most times the birds will start sounding off on their own but a little bit of encouragement never hurts. Your set up is most important (no decoys in front of you on the same line the birds will likely come in on, gun at the ready and stay nice and concealed). This has resulted in a lot of dead birds shortly after first light.

I'll never set up in a spot if I don't have birds roosted or located. In this case, it's just a matter of covering ground and getting a bird to answer back - game on. Crow calls are great for getting a shock gobble and locating a tom. In the late morning and afternoon, I'm usually just walking and using a variety of hen calls to try and get a response. We don't always use decoys but they can be great for getting a tom to commit when he's hung up out of range, strutting back and forth waiting for the hen to come to him.

That's what's worked for us over the years. Hope it helps a few of you.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Well, i'll be in the woods for 4 days, so i'll be giving this strategy a try haha! Thanks HighCountry.

How about scratch this thread and focus on upcoming harvest policy.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    care to elaborate? is this in reference to the 7A/7B/6?

Plenty of attention on the harvest policy amendments and what resident hunters can do to contribute.

We'll keep the focus of the turkey thread on turkeys. Thanks, Chief.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

How about contribute to the thread or move on lol. The nerve of some people on this forum is beyond comprehension. Ego's galore

Spring turkey hunts are a ton of fun. I've been lucky to harvest a few birds over the past years.

High Country has it well laid out. I try to locate birds during the day/afternoon/last light. Watch from a distance and see where I think they will roost or even try to watch which tree they roost in. A key factor is determining how you will get to the birds the next morning. I've made the mistake of just looking at maps but then I get there in the morning and the snow at a point in the road is way to high to pass by and created for a much longer hike in than planned. This led to me coming down the skidder road hearing the gobbles from the roost. Not what I planned. Next, it is really important to understand the direction birds will want to pitch out of the tree. Most birds are on a hill somewhat, and they will typically pitch up hill and land in a somewhat open area. Don't setup under their roost tree lol.

You can sneak in on the birds if you are slow and quiet and have cover. Otherwise, bad idea as they will see you and be gone never to be seen again.

Roost the night before. Scout your way into the area. Setup above the birds in the dark before they are awake. Think 3am in your spot. Ticks are there, so tuck your pants into your socks etc. After your hunt, ensure you inspect for ticks well.

If you get into position before the birds wake, setup your decoys and wait. In my experience, birds will sound off on their own. I don't call while in their roost, as I've seen them pitch and glide km's away never to be seen. They will see your decoys and likely come in on their own.

Another thing, if the birds do pitch and glide a distance away don't assume they knew you were there. Many public land birds are sketchy and don't trust anything. There is a good chance they will circle back around and come from another direction to check out your decoys. Be patient and stay put. Have the gun at the ready and ensure you can see all directions that they will come from.

Try to be well away from any roads, as there is a good chance a road hunter will come along and try to shoot your decoys. If a road is near, ensure you don't setup your decoys between you and the road otherwise you might get shot by some other hunter. Best is to go to a spot where there are no roads, less chance of other hunters hiking in and you eliminate the road hunters that shoot from their trucks.

Another method that has worked for me is to find an area where the birds travel regularly between roost and strut zones. Setup on this trail and wait. Dropped a nice Tom this way. Again, patience is key.

Remember, these birds have incredible eye sight. Full camo. No movement. Watch if you glass with the sun in your face, they will see the reflection. Just because you think they can't see you, doesn't mean they won't. They are prey to everything, so they will run away at the slightest sign of danger even if they don't know what it is.

Pattern your gun, choke and ammo before so you know your range. Owl call in early morning or crow to locate. watch and roost. Get in early and setup uphill. Be patient and still. Good luck!

All very valuable intel from BC.

Just a touch over 2 weeks from opening day. This is one of the funnest hunts of the year. Hope there are lots of hunters getting out and taking advantage of this great opportunity.

There's a GOS in 8-26 and 8-22, anybody have any experience with finding birds in these areas? Any point in blowing thru fuel heading to that neighbourhood?