Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointers

Pointers

Is there anybody out there who wants to share some experience on pointers?

Im in the beginning stages of looking for a dog. I was going to wait until my golden left us, but the more I think about it the more I think he’s going to be around for another 5-6 years or more.

Anyways. I’ve been looking at the Irish red and white setter. They seem to be the best balance of what I’m looking for as far as Google tells me anyways.

Is there any other breeds out there I should be looking at? Has to be good in cold weather. they all seem to have intense energy levels, so lower energy would probably be better as it’ll be a family pet too. Ease of training would be a bonus, because I was hoping my 12 year old would help with a lot of that as it would likely be his dog in the end and I was hoping he could have his hand in there as much as possible.

My brother has a griffon, but I think I’d like something a little more point and flush specific.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pointers

A friend of mine and I were chatting the other day about the German shorthair pointers I used to have . Super neat dogs . During our conversation he had made mention of puddle pointers and how they were without a doubt one of the most intelligent dogs he had ever seen . They seem like an interesting breed.

Those pudel pointers look pretty interesting. I just had a quick read about them. Sounds like a well rounded gun dog. Probably a decent retriever and pointer that’s well suited for thick bush. Probably similar to a griff.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I love my Wirehaired pointer. But a Pudlepointer would be on my short list. Really pretty dogs. I would also look into munsterlanders. My buddy's English Setter is a hunting machine!

I have an English Pointer - crazy energy, but a great combo of family dog and hunting dog. He gets along well with the kids, super patient, but requires a LOT of time outside. Runs like a rocket, super smart, very handsome

Nothing pointery, or poodley likes cold weather I think.
    I made that mistake with my poodle.
    Irish setters are not good pets IMO, my family had one and it bit a few people, was total wacko.

My family had English pointers , brittanys and jagd terriers on regular basis.
    None good for cold weather.
    Of all the bird dogs I love English pointers the most.
    Not exactly pet quality dogs. I mean if you have a house and big yard then ok.
    But they are very driven.
    Maybe you could find some line that's not high energy and might make an ok pet.
    Germans are great too.
    Brittanys are well behaved. People who love them, really love them.

My next dog will be a Norwegian Elkhound.

When I was about 12 years old my uncle had an incredible English and I would play with that dog all day, every day.
    I don't know what I did, must have wrestled with him a lot.
    He cut me up so bad with his nails one day that my aunt just sprayed me with alcohol, entire body.
    True story.
    But my uncle had a huge property with lots of forest and river frontage and the dog could keep himself busy chasing small animals all day.
    I don't remember him entering the house that much.
    He was an outside dog. But a hunting dog too.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

I have a field bred EP he’s a cracking dog looks sharp fantastic nose runs hard and temperament is on the mild side considering his heritage. He’s great with my kids and super friendly to other dogs. Contrary to what you might hear mine loves the water although I haven’t taken him duck hunting in zero degrees yet. He’s pretty easy to train, my 10 year old did most of the sit/stay/paw/kennel/lie down training without much effort.

Downside he’s a nightmare to walk on leash and needs a good hour off leash running every day. And leaves hairs all over the house no matter how often you brush him.

Not for everyone but you may find a show bred EP is a bit easier to handle. I almost bought one but was put off by the fact they’re 3-4 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than the field bred line.

The ep looks like it has a pretty short coat. That would be completely out of the question for me. The poor bigger would probably freeze in -20.

Griffs, pudelpointers, Deutch Drahthaars, and German wire-hairs all fall under the versatile umbrella. They'll point all upland birds, retrieve equally well on land or water (especially if they've been force fetched), they're good on searches and they track really well. They can handle cold weather and water because of their double coat but all hunters I know who shoot waterfowl over the winter months will always put neoprene vests on them for added warmth. They're all great swimmers and love the water!

As far as shedding goes it all barrels down to breeding. My griff barely sheds at all. She's never had any matted hair. The only maintenance I do with her is run a steel comb over her once every 4-5 weeks. Other owners, however, have griffs that mat a lot and they need to brush/comb them almost daily likely because they have softer coats and probably shampoo them frequently. My 4 1/2 year old griff has never been shampooed in her life. That being said, she has been hosed down a few hundred times. It's the same for pudelpointers and german wirehair pointers when it comes to their coat. It's definitely something to discuss with the breeder.

DDs and GWPs are much more sharp than griffs and pudelpointers. Every small animal they go after is likely going to come back dead. Can't tell you how many young bunnies my dog has brought back that's wet and slobbery that I just release back to the forest/bush but it may have to do more with the training. All of these dogs are easy to train and behave well in the home but they need daily exercise (twice a day) otherwise they can get into mischief out of boredom. My dog has yet to ruin a single item in the house,,,,, no furniture, no clothing, no shoes, etc, from day one but I'm retired so getting her out to exercise and train has never been an issue. She gotten run of the house since she's been 6-7 months old.

Shorthairs have even higher energy needs.

Pudelpointers and griffs are great with kids. No toddler is safe around my griff,,,,they always get a face washing with her tongue and wet beard. lol I don't know about the other versatiles but griffs tend to prefer people over dogs when they see either when out and about,,,,at least mine does.

Have never seen any of the wire-haired breeds not like water whereas I've seen a lot of the shorthairs like the English, German, weimaraners, and vizslas who don't (big time), especially when it's iced up on the edges.

The setters that are bred to hunt, shorthairs and brittanys have a more stylish point, IMHO, but none of the dogs I've mentioned above should flush birds. They're meant to hold point.

English and German shorthair pointers have a much different conformation than any of the wire-hairs or brittanys. They're MUCH deeper in the chest and because of that there's always a greater risk of bloating. That deep chest makes it difficult to fit with neoprene vests and that's if you can even get one that will go out into the extremes to hunt. If you do have a gamer you'd have to make a lot of modifications to the vest for a good fit, otherwise they're pretty much useless.

In the end, it's tough to go wrong with any of the bird dogs mentioned,,,,,,retrievers included! After all, a dog that doesn't hunt is just a cat that barks!

Good thread. Looking to get a dog. Last lab was PB wired field trial stock. Oh my, was he a handful. Minimum twice a day 45 minutes of airing/training or you had a restless dog. I did shift and the good wif worked days so he got his work in.

That said, I took braces of pheasants behind him after being told by GSP owners there were no birds in the coverts they had just pushed as we were going in. Best he did was gifting me a brace before the Perazzi toting gentlemen had finished packing up. He would point if the bird held and yes I had witnesses. Some dogs just won't push ugly cover like blackberry bushes.

Be careful you don't get more drive then you have time for. Myself, I'm thinking pudelpointer. Now to find a breeder.