Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2022 Turkey Thread!

The 2022 Turkey Thread!

It’s time to start thinking about it...

If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The 2022 Turkey Thread!

Last year I ran into more turkey hunters than any other year in my experience since the general open season. The bored covid crowd was probably a factor. I'm not looking forward to the crowds on an easter long weekend. I just hope I can find a little patch of bush for me and my 2 young sons to do some calling without someone taking a bead on my decoys.

Let’s hope it’s a quiet but productive season. I was shocked by the number of people in my spot last year, but we had 3 birds down in the first 1/2 hour. Saw the same group wandering around looking for birds a couple of times. I’m sure they were shocked by the number of shots we let out very quickly, and how fast we were wandering back to camp carrying our birds!

I just got a new pot call, time to start practicing! I think my diaphragm calling will be better this season after having a good fall with the elk calls.

Got into birds last year but didn’t get one. Looking forward to this season!

Good luck ULC. I have had no luck with diaphragm calls. I just can’t get the darn things to make a sound. I’ll try again this year, but I have had enough success without a mouth call to not be too concerned.

I think it best to wait until the first week of May. Let the people have their fun Easter weekend. Let a little more green grass grow, a couple of the boss hens get bred, and go out a little later. April 30th or better May 7th if you dont have Mother's day commitments heck even the last weekend... that's the one I'm gunning for! Not to mention just increases your odds to run into a little bear meat too. Though I've seen two each both of the last two years scouting the opener.

I'm headed to MX to hunt Gould's. My excuse for missing the BC Opener.

First year hunting more than waterfowl. Me and a buddy are really looking forward to putting our practice into play. I've been working hard on learning to call with multiple types of calls, and i'm hoping that contributes to a successful hunt.

Got my black bear tag in case.

Don’t call too often...

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Don’t call too often...
    Any tips to further that tip? I'll be using decoys if that changes anything.

Quote Originally Posted by maze View Post
    Any tips to further that tip? I'll be using decoys if that changes anything.
    Stay hidden/camo as best you can. When you hear the turkeys coming in, Minimize movement. I learned last year that not having the gun ready is a bad idea. the slight movement to shoulder it got a couple gobblers running.
    Be patient