Thread: Sightron S3

Sightron S3

Hi folks,
    I recently purchased a Remington M700 “Tactical” in .308win. I’m looking to head down the rabbit hole of Long range shooting. I have yet to top this rifle with glass. I think I would like to give the Sightron S3 a go. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these scopes. And if so, what and the pros and cons?
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sightron S3

Sightron does a nice job. I have 4 of them on target rifles. Sll 6-24X40 (no longer made), Slll 8-36X56 and Slll 10-50X60. They all have excellent glass, generous eye boxes and excellent tracking. Maybe not built as skookum as a Nightforce but generally lighter and they have held up very well for me. They make a number of different turrets and reticles to suit different needs. No complaints at all, good glass especially for the price.

Hi Elkaddict,

Thats good to hear you say that.
    What reticles do you have on your scopes? I am a bit torn as to which one I should go for. The MOA “Christmas tree” reticles seem rather busy, but useful for analog ranging. Mildot is less busy but a bit of a head game with math if you want to use the reticle for ranging.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

I have 3 Sightron's, two 6x24x50 one SFP the other FFP, and a 1x7x24 LPV.

As noted they do track very well and hold zero, glass is very good for my eyes.

One was sent in for warranty, zero and tracking went bad in one turret and the numbers on the dial were worn almost off. Anyway about 6 weeks later I got it back and they replaced the turret and the dials. Been perfect ever since.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Hey Brad
    Thats good. No issues with their warranty then?

My 6-24 is on a silhouette rifle. It has a target dot, the others all just have fine crosshair. The three larger scopes are used on F Class rifles so there is no need for ranging. Aiming is done either by hold overs or adjusting turrets so there is no real need for the fancier reticles so, sorry can't be much help there.

I had one scope that was funky as well. It was purchased used off an internet forum. The reticle was rotated slightly in the tube so when it was plumb to the barrel the turrets were canted. I sent it to Hirsch Precision for warranty work. They sent it off to Sightron, who upon opening it up said that it had been diddled with. There was some adhesive in the internals that shouldn't have been there. They still fixed it for free. All it cost me was the shipping. I was very pleased and impressed.

Same experience as Elkaddict with Hirsch, all went smooth.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

I have an s3 in 8x32x56. I think they call it the moa reticle.

Ive had it for 5-6 years. Its good for the price and Gerry is great to deal with. I haven’t had any warranty issues. The glass is not the same quality as the higher end scopes like leupold or nightforce. If you think you’re going to spend half as much and get the same quality than you’re dreaming. I can’t quite tweak the parallax on mine to tune out the elevation and windage at the same time. I can do one or the other, but not both at the same time. I can’t comment on how other high end scopes are for this. I did buy a vx5 recently but haven’t really held it on a steady rest to really compare the parallax.

As for reticles. I read somewhere that you have to ask yourself one simple question. When looking down range, would you say you have to come up 10cm or 2 inches? If it’s cm than go with a mil scope and inches moa. I like having the graduations on the crosshairs, but I’d probably stay away from the Christmas tree.

I have two S111’s. Both are excellent scopes. Wouldnt hesitate to buy another.