Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need new tires?

I need new tires?

I have a one ton dodge with factory issue bfg rugged trail.These tires suck.On my hunting trip this year I almost went into the ditch more than once because of mud.I'm looking for a good AT tire that works for hunting/camping and my wife's daily driver.I have narrowed it down to BFG At's ,Bridgestone revo's or toyo At's.Anyone with good or bad experience with these?? Help ?? PS Because my wife uses the truck to go shopping I can't go mud TA.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I need new tires?

I have had a couple sets of BFG A/T's and would definately recommend them. They are aggressive enough for most hunting applications and wear extremely well. The aggressive tread tends to thro some rocks tho so I would suggest some mud flaps.

Havn't been too happy with BFG at's...unless they are a bit bigger tire so that the tread is open enough to throw mud...have a buddy who had them on a 1/2 ton ford and when you get into clay you might as well have slicks on! (been in trucks with bigger BFG's and they are good)

We use Toyo M55's on all our work trucks (8 one ton diesels) and we use them all year round on gravel, mud, snow, ice and highway and they are pretty good - they seem to wear well with the weight of the diesel in the front. Most other tires seem to go bald within 20 to 40 thou km.
    You'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

Mine are 285/65 r17's which are equivalent to 33" tires. You need to remember that no AT tire is gonna chuck mud like a mudder and cant be compared to them in an offroad situation. When you put the BFG up against other AT's they fair very well. There arent many AT tires that will do very well at all in clay

I just put the dunlop rover rv/xt on my truck i was very happy with them last week on my moose hunt. that was the first time out so can say how they ware but they like to pick up the rocks.

If money is free'er I'd mount Revo's best tire out there when I was shopping, but they are much more than the deal I got on BFG's. Both good, just one's a little better!!

Look up http://www.1010tires.com/ for lots of good info.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

i am having the same dilema and have narrowed my search to the Toyo A/T and the BFG A/T.
    Toyo is cheaper and is actualy a well constructed tire.
    BFG has been around forever and has a great reputation. I just need to decide which one... Choices for Dodge 20" wheels is limited...and expensive.

Lots of BFG At Clones out there. Excellent tire made by BFG for other Brand names. Why pay for the snowflake.

Suck it up and buy some real off-road tires (at a minimum, BFG mudders, SuperSwampers are better, etc. Kumho MT's if you're cheap). You'll quickly get used to the both howling sound they make on the highway, and the fact that you can take forestry roads at prodigious speed without slippin and slidin. You'll even spare your drivetrain a lot of abuse, as four wheel drive becomes needed really only in thick mud or snow. Real off-road tires really do make that much difference. As much as I'd like nice quiet street tires sometimes - I can't bear the idea of going back to the way things used to be off-road (oh look, some gravel - better put er in four low, or we're sliding off this puppy)....

Ask me how I know.
    Last edited by brotherjack; 11-16-2007 at 11:05 PM.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Thumbs up Re: I need new tires?

Hi I'm doing the same research as you, Here's what I know, BFG's suck !!!!I've had tread separtion problems with them on 2 trucks, What I use now and are 4 years old approx 130000 k/m are Goodyear Wranglers in size 305/70R16 on a 96 F250 Powerstroke, what I might try if the Goodyears are now too pricey are Toyo A/T's in 315/75R16, a couple of inches taller and just as wide [12.2"] Good luck